Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 s Morgan....Please help me attribute

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  07:49 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsnewbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone,

I literally made myself sick yesterday spending hours on

V W trying to attribute this coin that I need to sell. I

want to get it right, but now know I can't without you.

Thanks to all.

Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have time right now to look it up but it looks like the 4th star is broken and the R in Trust is broken, that would be a great place to start. I can not tell if it is an open G or closed G from your pictures
Pillar of the Community
United States
1243 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  09:05 am  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The general rule of thumb is broken star and broken R come up to no Real premium. Other then the Vam-19a and even that is easily found with not much of a premium. I found both of mine,1 on E-Bay and the other in a Brick and Mortar store graded at grey sheet bid.
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  09:25 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I echo twohawks' advice. Don't bother to attribute this one or list it with an attribution. It has the broken star and broken 'r'. I skip right over these on eBay. Just offer it as an 1878-S. The only ones worth mentioning an attribution are the long-nocks (26,27,56,57,58,59,60,62 and 72), doubled RIB Vams 22,77 and one in the 100-series(?), Spaghetti wing VAM 18, the funky feathers 49, 50 and 76 and the dragon scales in high MS.

I want to thank all those currently listing on eBay with the attribution in the title. It makes my job easier as I limit my search to the above and simply skip over these listings.
So many coins, so little time ...
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsnewbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, how long does it take for one to learn not to waste so much time

trying to attribute. I've been VAMMING for 8 months now and still spinning

wheels. Copied SeatedNut's list of worthwhile 78 VAMS. If I don't have one of those

I'll move on right away. Very grateful for the advice from all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  2:52 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, how long does it take for one to learn not to waste so much time

trying to attribute. I've been VAMMING for 8 months now and still spinning

wheels. Copied SeatedNut's list of worthwhile 78 VAMS. If I don't have one of those

I'll move on right away. Very grateful for the advice from all.

My advice was specific to this particular coin and the possibility for profit by attributing it.

I can't answer your question without knowing your motivation. If you are wanting to learn to complete a collection, then you won't waste any time because you decide what level of effort is needed to reach your goals.

On the other hand if you intend to use your knowledge to profit from Vams you definitely need to narrow your search. The first tool in your toolbox should be the "VamView Price Guide". Other resources will include the conversations on VamWorld, the PCGS registry sets (specifically the holes in the sets), and the Buy/Sell/Trade section of VamWorld.

I got in it to build a collection and have sold duplicates to expand/improve.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

What about the 78-S VAM 6 for the double RIB?
Edited by southsav
03/05/2012 8:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:53 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What about the 78-S VAM 6 for the double RIB?

Uh oh! I opened another door. The VAM 6 is desirable, but only carries a slight premium ($150 in MS63 and $225 in 64 and these are the max prices). I've seen them sell for just slightly more than a non-attributed coin. I have one in a PCGS64 holder that I won't part with for this reason.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1243 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going though a few rolls at a B&M in Dec. and passed on 10 Unc's of the Vam-6. I had already spent a bit and I have 2 already. I did tell a few guys about them and turned around to get them for my buddies and the guy had sold them off.
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  09:29 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
allcoinsnewbie,

I saw your listing for this coin last night on the 'bay. I recognized the photos right away and noticed the seller was in Massachesetts. The listing was well done. Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Uh oh! I opened another door. The VAM 6 is desirable, but only carries a slight premium ($150 in MS63 and $225 in 64 and these are the max prices). I've seen them sell for just slightly more than a non-attributed coin. I have one in a PCGS64 holder that I won't part with for this reason.

Mine was one of my few proud moments, surprising even myself. I purchased mine as a NGC 64 attributed as a VAM 12. When it arrived closer inspection revealed it to be the VAM 6. I sent it to NGC for re-attribution ( I guess that's the term). They confirmed it as the VAM 6 dbl RIB reslabbing it.

A very nice $64 purchase.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05