Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Star-Spangled Banner Coins Available

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
commems
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:16 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just ordered my SSB coins in Unc. Don't know why I had to order within minutes of them becoming available -- guess it's that collector "gene" deep down inside of me!

In any case, I look forward to seeing them "live" -- I like the images posted on the Mint's website, so I'm hopeful they'll look great in person.

And now, the wait begins for the 2013 commemoratives!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2109 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  3:39 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was right behind ya! Skipped the gold though.... I'm chasing Early Coppers and need the buckos! Hope the Proof is better than the Infantry Proof I received. Verrrrrrrrry heavy "milk spots"...
"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received in the mail the U.S. Mints offer today for the SSB coins (Star-Spangled Banner ) Commemorative's. The silver dollar is 90% silver is this the norm? The mint is also offering introductory prices on other coins. I have not seen this before. Are they trying to console after the 2011 Silver Eagle Anniversary fiasco.
Commems, they are great looking.
The Silver Dollar are "P" mint mark? Why not W?
Edited by bpoc1
03/05/2012 4:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US silver commemoratives are struck to the traditional US standard of coin silver (I.e., 90% silver), so "Yes" the SSB silver dollars are normal.

The US Mint has been offering an initial discount on its commem coins for a good number of years; the discount period lasts roughly the first month after release. So, the current discounts have nothing to do with last year's ASE Anniversary Set issues.

The West Point branch mint is not typically used for striking silver commems. They have, however, struck quite a few of our gold commems over the years. WP's first was the Uncirculated 1984 gold $10 (Eagle) coin for the LA Olympics, its most recent were the Uncirculated and Proof SSB gold $5 (Half Eagle) coins.
Edited by commems
03/05/2012 5:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well! I had this date down on the calender wrong. I thought they were coming out this Friday.

I wanted to order across all options but was expecting the gold to be cheaper than it is. Will have to go crunch numbers to see if I can get one~!
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody fixin' on ordering the gold?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My order included the gold coin in uncirculated - I like the design!
United States
5852 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The flyer from the mint was in the mail today, and they sent an email announcement too. Not really interested in the gold, but I hope to make a set of Silver proof and unc coins
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, thanks for the information.
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anybody think if gold continues to drop that they will adjust prices?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the price of the gold coins is subject to the Mint's precious metal pricing policy, it's definitely possible. It's also possible that the price will increase if gold goes up again.

Here's a link to a page on the Mint's website from which you can view the Mint's pricing policy.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ntifier=4000
United States
5852 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just placed an order for the silver dollar coins, proof and unc.
Edited by Fuzzy317
03/08/2012 02:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered the Silver Dollar Proof. It should be here on Tuesday.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add choob99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna place my order for the silver proof and unc next week, would like the gold, but just don't have the money for it at the moment
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my UNC today. Very nice coin and perfect condition.
I am happy with this one for sure.

When would we be able to find out the exact mintage of these? How does that work?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins can be sold through the end of the year. A final reconciliation of the units sold (I.e., the final mintage) of each coin should be available in January/February of 2013.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05