Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Star-Spangled Banner Coins Available

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't wait until the last minute, if you want to order one, though. Sometimes they take them off of their ordering list a few weeks or a couple of months before the end of the year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered the silver proof a few days ago, should be here soon. Nice looking coin.
Wornslick

ANA R3154225

" The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me "
Learn More...
United States
6725 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wornslick

I ordered the silver proof a few days ago, should be here soon. Nice looking coin.

Both the proof and uncir look good. Got mine a few days ago.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2170 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fuzzy317: Your photographs really highlight how the techniques used to enhance the contrast between the "frosty" devices and "mirror-like" fields on today's proof coins definitely reduce the level of detail seen in the final product.

There is definitely more detail shown in the BU coin vs. Proof upon close inspection. The details in the depiction of Fort McHenry (obverse) are more vivid and the flag (reverse) appears to have more three-dimensional texture.

Thanks for the images!
Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the pictures posted I'll pass on the proof and just get the Unc. version. It's all about eye appeal for me no matter what. That proof looks like it was masked and bead blasted. A bit too much frost for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
personally I like the proof front better, but the flag on the uncir more.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add COMET to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like both of them, was a little undecided when I was placing the order. But when they arrived they truly shined.
Learn More...
United States
21928 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fuzzy317: Your photographs really highlight how the techniques used to enhance the contrast between the "frosty" devices and "mirror-like" fields on today's proof coins definitely reduce the level of detail seen in the final product.
I think the sandblasting has been taken a bit too far.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both the proof and uncir look good. Got mine a few days ago.

My proof arrived Friday. Nice little box it came in, well done by the mint in my opinion.
Wornslick

ANA R3154225

" The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me "
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add choob99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both of mine came of Tuesday and they both look fantastic, should get 70's for both from PCGS
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2304 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the coin's design serves as inspiration for our adulation of the pivotal moment in our history. I think, once again, the CCAD and CFA let us down. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of either offering.

I still sing a pretty good rendition of the SSB though!

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfwusc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the gold coin 1/4 an oz or 1/10 an oz. It looks like it is 1/4, but $5 coin made me think 1/10 oz.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2170 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2012  7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Modern US commemorative $5.00 gold coins (Half-Eagles) are struck to the same standard and specifications that were used when gold coins were struck for circulation. The gold bullion (i.e., American Eagle) coins use a different system for their denominations.

So, the SSB gold half-eagle is 0.900 gold with a net weight in pure gold of 0.242 ounces.

See the following link for more info:

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs...StarSpangled
Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2012  11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The gold bullion (i.e., American Eagle) coins use a different system for their denominations.

After banning importation of krands, the most popular fractional gold in the world, AGE were issued to the same specs (unlike any other US gold). This gave them a built-in inventory of bezels, holders, etc.

Once the AGE was firmly established, they lifted the ban.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05