Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1996W Roosevelt Dime

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
charlesjcoin
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add charlesjcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this in my change from mcdonalds today. Can anyone educate me on this coin didnt even know a dime with a w existed thanks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It came in mint sets. Someone cracked it open then spent it. Depending on the grade they can go for up to 20 bucks. The W referse to the West point mint out of New york. I believe there were only 1.5 million of those mints.
ANA member #3169039
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10891 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  5:00 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1996W dime was a 50th anniversary special that was included in the the 1996 Mint Set, it is the key regular issue coin for the clad series.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5014 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find!
United States
20335 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice find in circulation! What condition is it in? Can you post a picture of it?
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to keep a sharp eye! Great find!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add charlesjcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for all of your information. It amazes me daily on the knowledge of the people in this forum. Here is a picture for your enjoyment.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the lowest mintage coin of the Roosevelt series too !
I believe there are some Silver Proofs with a lower mintage..... but the "West Point" Dime is truly a keeper !...

NICE FIND ! .....

Only available in the "Mint Sets"......it's "a trip", at just how often certain coins come to be in circulation like that!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! It looks like it still might be BU?

There were 1,457,949 minted.
http://mintsetguide.com/1996-mint-set/
I've been collecting, since 1975.
United States
20335 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a picture for your enjoyment.
Thank you for sharing. He looks to have survived the "ordeal" rather well.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were the brainchild of Philip Diehl, then acting Director of the US Mint. They were intended to give something special to long time mint set buyers. These come very nice and gems are almost typical. Superb gems are not uncommon.

The attrition on these is likely rather high as they get "lost" in the mint set packaging and many people don't realize they are intended as part of the set. Many of them end up in the garbage stream for these reasons or in circulation. Dimes in circulation have a very high attrition due to their small size causing them to slip through holes such as pants pockets and their tendency to "float" on larger coins. They are more likely to be tossed in the garbage because of their low value and low utility. If one is dropped people are less likely to retrieve it. About 60% of the old clad dimes are gone now and about 20% of 1996 dimes. A very small percentage of the '96 dimes lost are W mint mark but the %age increases each year as more W dimes get in circulation.

Of course the primary cause of attrition for these coins is like almost everything made by man; fire and flood.

The '96-W got very little attention the first few years but has been getting more popular in the last decade.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Edited by cladking
03/06/2012 4:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1627 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find love that W dime
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find ... a true circulation find brag indeed.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finding a 1996-W in circulation is a once in a lifetime find. Although they're very "common" in high grades, if I found one in circulation it'd be worth more to me than a brilliant example simple due to its provenance. It made a very interesting trip to get to your pocket. :-)
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins. Attribution Services.
Numismetrica
Coin Collection Management Software for your Desktop and Mobile Devices.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add charlesjcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really did not think it was anything special until I read all of the information on here. So my bad habit of the McDonalds drive through at 1215 for lunch turned out to be a good thing that day.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05