Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Fake coin toning.

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
coincollect1
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  6:52 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

How do all these people make fake coin toning? What chemicals do they use to make the coin tone? If anyone has a way of putting an artifical toning on the coin tell me please. Thanks everyone

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MorganDude26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One way I know of and have tried on some change is either putting it on a heat plate or in the flame of a gas stove.
WooHoo!! 100th post
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5631 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I "heat treated" quite a few back during Desert Storm on the pot-bellied stove we had in out tent...to bad I don't know where they went...they were very "technicolored".
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/05/2012 7:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks guys... But I read a post today and he had a fake purple toning on an Indian cent. Did they use chemicals to make a reaction and cause toning?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12304 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the recent post on AT coins. As noted there are many, many methods used to AT coins.
Many use heat such as in an over, or on top of a gas stove.
Some just place a coin or coins in the wet dirt.
Some use things like dish soaps, almost anything laying around the kitchen. Eggs are noted to do a job on toning coins. Match heads work OK too.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might try toning a bullion value canadian quarter... thanks guys
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
763 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Water. I've seen some coins end up toned from being in a tip jar.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12304 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Water. I've seen some coins end up toned from being in a tip jar.

So why is there water in a tip jar? Or am I missing something. I thought a tip jar was on a counter for tips.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10899 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  11:54 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I read a post today and he had a fake purple toning on an Indian cent. Did they use chemicals to make a reaction and cause toning?

The surfaces of a cleaned coin are much more reactive than the surfaces of a coin that has normal wear so they will usually not develop a patina with a similar appearance, most especially with copper coins. A cleaned coin does not have to be treated in any special manner(heat, chemicals, etc) to develop funky toning. If a coin has been chemically cleaned though, residual cleaner left on the coin may also cause funky toning.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
763 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So why is there water in a tip jar?

I'm not sure. Cheap decoration maybe.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  07:34 am  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fact that people tend to tip more when there is water in a tip jar. It reminds them of a wishing well where you throw coins in and make a wish before it hits the water. The simple addition of water in a jar is believed to be a psychological effect and has proven to work, especially at coffee shops and low end restaurants!

Glenn
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12304 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a fact that people tend to tip more when there is water in a tip jar.

Maybe in Canada but around me if someone dumped water in a tip jar, the results could be something to remember.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10883 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:25 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like carl said, there are thousands of methods between chemical and heat.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverEye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The simple addition of water in a jar is believed to be a psychological effect and has proven to work, especially at coffee shops and low end restaurants!

It's probably not more tips, just less being stolen. Who would want to stick their hand in that gross water? Also, for the thief who doesn't care about germs, he would worry about being caught, what with the wet hand and all..
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im going to try and do the dirt. Ill experiment
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12304 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who would want to stick their hand in that gross water? Also, for the thief who doesn't care about germs, he would worry about being caught, what with the wet hand and all..

If all those reports about our currency having traces of Cocain on them, imagine the STUFF floating around on top of the water. Also, ever notice how many people spit on their fingers when pulling out bills from a waller. That too would be floating around in the water.
Now just what waitress would want to touch those?

Back to toning. Place some Garlic and Onions in your mouth, chew, then spit on those coins. If it doesn't tone the coins, next try getting close to someone and see how they tone from your breath.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05