Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Update on counterfeit 20c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:30 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well it was good to see at least one of our American friends "gets" Aussie humour/parody

Anyway, there is an update on this story; after explaining some of the finer points of the coin presented to them, the local constabulary was willing to accept the coin for delivery to the AFP.

This was the first circulating counterfeit I've come across (admittedly from a bank bag), but it was pretty apparent as soon as I held it in my hand, and the lack of reeding just made it more obvious.

As a tribute to the dearly departed, I present to you a pictorial reference:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5066 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  01:07 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You actually got the AFP to treat a "drier coin" as a forgery
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 bits dont look 100%
1 the swirl above the 2 and between the 2 and 0
2 the swirl of water where it meets ollie's head near the middle
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen images of dryer coins and do not believe this is one.

The "coin" appeared to be made from steel, and the coin design is indistinct in certain areas or lacks detail even on the lower relief areas.
Edited by FNQ
03/06/2012 03:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5066 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  01:25 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why on earth would anyone want to forge a 20 cent coin was it magnetic?
The swirls are in the correct position, just a bit battered and squashed.
We need a photo shop expert to overlap an image of a good coin on top of this one
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one just looks like a badly damaged/worn real coin to me...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I dont think it is fake, just very, very worn.

Why om earth would someone fake a 20c coin, especially after 1981?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  03:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In typical circumstances I would agree, but I accept without a doubt and unequivocally the following coin (and similar) as legal tender, although when it comes to this coin (after a couple of days to mull it over), there is no way I could present it without lingering doubt as to its authenticity.

From experience, weight, characteristics, and lack of detail etc are all wrong.

As to why someone would forge 20 cent pieces (rather than $2's), I did ask myself the same question, and can only speculate - perhaps as a silver coloured coin it was easier to forge, attract less attention, and be easy to pass off using vending machines.
Edited by FNQ
03/06/2012 04:01 am
Valued Member
Australia
56 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LukeDARLING to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how long the 20 cent coin was in circulation before they were found.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5066 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  05:50 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From experience, weight, characteristics, and lack of detail etc are all wrong.

This is a 1915 florin, weight characteristics and lack of detail etc are all wrong, but after all that is taken into account this IS a drier coin.
The 1915 florin is a key date and well worth forging but this is authentic alas ruined coin

Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fair point, and obviously a modern copper nickel coin would exhibit less wear than one made from sterling silver, however when you look at the kings crown on the obverse there is still considerable detail on the lower relief area.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the coppa tell you if you would hear of the AFP determination?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly would appreciate a final response either way - I don't mind being proven wrong in this instance if that is the case, although understandably I'm somewhat reluctant to foot a $200 bill for a RAM authentication test on a 20c piece.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice acid wash to me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05