Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

fake 1877 IHC?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:49 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUST-SEE-RA...t_500wt_1165

I'd say so

Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow..over$500...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious fake is obvious. Have you reported it?

It's funny that counterfeiters rarely seem to produce the weak N which is the first diagnostic that anybody ever looks at.

Edit: Before jumping the gun too much, proof 1877s had a strong N. It doesn't look like a circulated proof to me though.
Edited by CaptainFwiffo
03/06/2012 4:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5382 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2925 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come on! The seller's name is "predator!"
"Knowledge is the treasure of a wise man." --William Penn
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just took a look at a bunch of genuine 1877's that sold on Heritage the last few years, and the last 7 of the date on the eBay coin looks all wrong to me. I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you report something as fake on ebay do you have to prove it?
How does the reporting work?
I saw the link, I've just never actually reported anything.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6161 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:53 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date looks all wrong to me also, take a look at a few 1877 Indians on Heritage or other sites.
True North
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joshkellogg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, with 15 bids, let them fight! It seems like a grand bunch of idiots in this auction to me... yikes!
Learn More...
United States
22134 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.
One should not touch that with any pole.

Quote:
If you report something as fake on ebay do you have to prove it?
How does the reporting work?
Scubu, where are you?

I pulled this from his signature:

Report eBay Coin Auctions Here [Link fixed by Bryan1315 because it wasn't working]

I do not think you have to prove it, just report it.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come on! The seller's name is "predator!"

I couldn't resist:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1642 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i actually own a real 1877 and im laughing at these idiots bidding on a complete fake haha! the giveaway is the N in one on the reverse on any real coin the N was always weak and the bottom and the fake shows no sign of that and the 2nd 7 is supposed to be lower! wow someones getting a fake coin and paying for it too
Pillar of the Community
United States
4385 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This line alone would make me not bid. Real or not.

Quote:
This Penny is in remarkable shape , Great detail , the intire word "LIBERTY" on the headband can bee seen plainly.

UGH!
"If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10030 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The date looks all wrong to me also
The digits are too large, for starters. Then there's the clincher--that "bold N" reverse.

For future reference, here's this fake compared to a certified 1877.

Edited by DVCollector
03/06/2012 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did anyone report it yet.
Learn More...
United States
14586 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No returns either...figures. Someone will learn the hardway.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early US copper enthusiast.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05