Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storage of Slabs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:38 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JamieSpat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Any unique thoughts or recommendations for storing slabbed coins? I was thinking more in terms of ease of viewing.

Thanks in Advance.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
8893 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slab albums are available. There a couple of threads in the CCF that relate to this topic.

Bit harder to find slab albums in Oz, especially Perth. Slabbing is nowhere as big in Australia, as in the U.S., maybe need to do a ring around of the local dealers in Perth or Freeo.
Edited by sel_69l
03/06/2012 10:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OR do as I do. Open slab, take coin out, place in an Album and you'll aways be able to see them all.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I personally agree with Carl, I do not think that is what Jamie wants.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JamieSpat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I never had many slabbed coins before but recently that is all you can find in the unc or ms of US coins. That's what got me thinking about it. I don't really like them either so I may follow Carl.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5066 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:54 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

just carl, Todays effort
Free the poor little buggers and enjoy them

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8893 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is not a single slabbed coin in my collection, but that is just me.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  04:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some very nice wooden boxes with felt lining. The slabs are held upright in rows but can be easily pulled up and viewed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are also storage boxes for them. You can't see them while in the box, but it is easy to pull one out and see it. At least that option is the least expensive, but it stores them well, since the boxes can be stacked easily.

Here is an example to store them on pages:
http://www.jpscorner.com/Eagle_Slab...t_Albums.htm
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is an example to store them on pages:
If I were to collect coins in slabs, I think those Eagle Coin Slab Albums would be what I would use.

Yes, they are expensive. But if I were to collect in slabs, they would probably be expensive coins.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kiteray to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends what type of coins you want to store. I had my silver eagle certified coins in a LightHouse album but the 1 ounce silver coins were too heavy for the pages. I moved my eagles into a wooden storage box and then moved other certified coins into the LightHouse albums.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if you can find them but if there is a photo type supply place around you, check them out for plastic pages for photos. I have some that are made for 4 photos pet page. Those should hold slabs and are made for a 3 ringed binder.
My problem with slabs is they take up a lot of room. Can not easily put in anything to see them readily. And if you want to have a collection in an Album, always be missing the ones stored somewhere else in an slab. Coins cost more in slabs. No guarantee they will not tone, tarnish, corrode, etc. in a slab.
Now here is thought. Imagine having an entire Lincoln Cent collection and every coin in a slab.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05