Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

How many coins to find an incuse 2000 50c?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
ozcoins
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
971 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  08:11 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been searching 50c coins hoping to find one out these.
I have not kept stats but it feels like I have been through a lot of coins. In the last two days $550!
How common/rare are these to find?
How many coins would you expect to search to find one?
How accurate is the estimate of 1.2% of 2000 50c being incuse?

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  2:41 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guestimate it only took me about $2500 dollars of 50c to find one. I reckon the wavy was more like $10k+ though. As they are big theyre nice to noodle. When I got laid off work for a few months I was doin $400-500 a day. I didnt keep stats on it and even if I did they would be unreliable only having found one incuse. I think the 1.2% is fairly well accepted isnt it?
Edited by enworb
03/07/2012 2:42 pm
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots
Valued Member
Australia
230 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My stats show 1 incused 50c in every $1,700 dollars worth of 50c coins or 0.0294% probabilty
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4958 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My stats show 1 incused 50c in every $1,700 dollars worth of 50c coins or 0.0294% probabilty

That's exactly what Steve said
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  5:30 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tought I was doing ok finding one but seems as if I shouldve found more by those numbers
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add denny5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like noodling is a hard work. Based on 1.2% of 2000 is incuse and 0.0294% of total, it seems that one out of 40 50c coins is 2000.

The number seems fair but mostly, luck is playing more important role.
Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I get a few in a row, I didn't see any for 6 months then in one week I got 2.

Each week my family tries to get $100 of some type of coinage to noodle through for fun.
Its something like $50 of 50c and $50 of 20c.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fred Lever had put it down to like 1-500 (which could be like 1 in $250 or a percentage of 0.2%). So therefore, theoretically, the original mintage (Year 2000 Millenium 50c) was 16,630,000 then there would only be 33,260 (0.2%) rather than the 166,300-332,600 (1%-2%) that McDonald assumes.
But from all the stats that you guys are showing, it's looking a lot less than that, most likely because you're searching through the entire circulation of coins. Say it is about 1 in $1,700, that makes it 1 in 3,400 coins. I think it's pretty much a matter of luck of the draw. But it is a coin that has already been far too highly noodled. For all those highly noodled, they would search some (or too many) coins, find one, list it on eBay & you'll make at least $20.
The question I have is how many 50c pieces are currently circulating? How many 50c coins has the RAM had to re-issue (or not) given their stance on damaged or mutilated coins? How many coins have been hoarded?
Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, it quite simple to figure out the mintage of the incuse, I will go to the RAM page and find out how many were made from the 1 incused die.

You will always be able to pic up some sort of coin in circulation, the thing is now they are look pretty tired, you will rarely pic up one in good nic
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
971 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australian coin.
I think you would need to know how many dies there were, to know what proportion came from a particular die.
Do they publish that info?
Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RAM production pages say that in 2000-01 an average lifespan of production dies were 340,000 pieces which was improved from previous year.

It was always assumed that the incused die may have failed early and thus the design was changed without the deep stamped union jack which was supposed to be the mint set only design.

Who knows the mint may have said use all the dies till they fail.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
971 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks AC!
I did not know that sort of info was available.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
852 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  12:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AusCoin; thanks for that info. Very cool. I like my numbers.
Valued Member
Australia
230 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My numbers are based on a size of 6800 50c coins (all dates). Narrowing down to 2000 Millunium coins only the percentage of incused is 1.60% of the Millenium mintage.
That said any mathematician (which I am by the way) will tell you that 6800 is a very small sample size considering that almost a billion 50c coins have been minted since 1966
I plan on publishing some stats once this figure is closer to 100,000 which will take some time
If anyone is interested can email spreadsheet to pool resources.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4958 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:32 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
115 50 cent coins will get you an ordanary incuse like mine
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05