Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How many coins to find an incuse 2000 50c?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I reckon Grant found my ones!

Congratulations on your finds.
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does stand to reason that if you consider the logistics of distribution that they would / could be concentrated in certain geographic locations... who's found the most where? is there a pattern?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  9:20 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadnt thought of it but it does make sense. They were likely created in one batch and shipped off together. Like the 2000 $1/10c mule in perth
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b_j_w_79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So where does Grant live? There could be the coin collectors version of a gold (well incused flag) rush!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  02:30 am  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in Gulgong NSW and that is serviced by Armaguard from Orange. My incused finding rate is probably slightly better than average.
I know someone in Canberra who has a much better rate than me.
And, someone at Newcastle (about same distance but east instead of south) has never found one. Now, this friend has over 1,000 each of all states Centenary of Federation (20¢ and 50¢) so he is a serious noodler. He has never found a 2000 $1 mule either (neither have I). But, his wife brought one home one day and said "is this the coin you want?" -got it in her change at a shop!

I am sure there is something in the geographical theory for coins from a particular die. But quantifying it would be hard.

Jeff

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definately worth some more investigation/thought.
However, for the incuse flag it is worth remembering that the year 2000 was some time ago, so you would expect a fair amount of travelling to have taken place over time.
Geographic location probably matters most for brand new coins.
I think it would be quite hard to quantify how much coins travel without a large scale experiment of "tagging and releasing"
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3715 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re the Incuse, it was some years before anyone even noticed it. A chap in Toowoomba first reported it, I can't recall exactly when, and the forum it was reported on no longer exists, but I have a vague feeling it may have been either 2005 or 2006.

I believe he also 'discovered' the 2004 20c Pointy A,(Big Head). He used to be a member here, but stopped posting a fair while ago, madbudgie was his ID. Some of the longer term members will remember him, I'm sure.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
233 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 12 years circulating around Australia I don't think geographic location plays a role any longer. This is more relevant to coins less than a year old....Banks move vast amounts of coins around the country vis Armaguard etc so thesedays is more luck than anything else. But persistance pays and it is interesting to note the varities of other coins found whilst searching for one particular coin. That's the fascinating aspect of coins.....you seek to find one coin and end up discovering something else....
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what about places that don't have high turn over of coins like when stevo went to hospital recently and scored well
Valued Member
Australia
459 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An island like Tasmania is limited to its coin pond (as I have mentioned in other posts). For myself to pick up on a error coin it first has to pass through the net of the mainland first. I think this seriously reduces my chances.
Valued Member
Australia
233 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Statement was a general one.....you can also go to the other extreme - places with high turnover of coins like pokie venues....found many NCLT coins there
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do we have any idea how much coins actually travel to different areas, vs how much they go around in circles in one geographic location?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW...
I finally found an "incuse flag" one today!
-and congratulations to enworb for winning the guessing competition for when I would find one.
Edited by ozcoins
03/14/2012 06:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  06:44 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congatulations OZ
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks trout!
Its in above average condition too, so at least that was lucky.
Was harder than I thought it would be. Maybe the next one will not take so long.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05