Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shocked... first time opening a mint roll...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  6:52 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add skwca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey all,

So today I opened one of my Orca 25 cent mint rolls. From RBC. This is my first ever mint roll I've opened so I didnt know what to expect. I was thinking in my mind that every coin minus the ends would be in untouched shape.. WOW was I wrong. EVERY coin had some sort of minor scratching and dings as seen through a loupe.. O.o Is this common from the mint or are they just slacking in the new releases? I did find a couple that had very minor scratching and few if any dings, but still not impressed.

NOw from what I gather these are still in MS condition so this bring me to a question of what the dif is between ms 63-65 I know MS-60 is untouched crap ;P and MS-67 is like a god send something struck and taken off the line right away...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 and MS-64 and MS-65 Are different in price range. MS-63 usually has some contact marks that takes the MS-64 - MS-65 grade away. Now MS-65 Is a perfect coin with light hairline "scratches" Now in your mint roll im guessing it probably was searched and returned in the original package.
Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add skwca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think these were searched. They are all in that plastic shrink rap that you have to cut into or rip to get the coins out so I'm positive they were not touched.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, they were in there shrink wrap. Im not sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
664 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:46 pm  Show Profile Check middross's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add middross to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every Mint roll I have openned is like this. Most will have small scratches on them. With the Colored coins you will also notice that most of them have the color bleeding over the edge, or not quite to the edge.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that why some people only buy separate sets from the mints and post office, they don't want they coins banging together and stuff when they get rolled and packaged.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My quarters were fine when I got them today in the sets.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
612 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely normal for a mint roll. I think I opened 6 or 8 rolls of men's hockey quarters, and didn't find a single MS-65 level coin. It's my suspicion that that reeds on the 25c coins are particularly bad for causing damage while the coins are being sorted at the mint, whereas the 1 cent coins seem to fare a lot better with their smooth rims.
Valued Member
Canada
115 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terry-T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins are shot out of high speed machines into large bins of coins, smash, smash, smash, where they can all slide around on top of each other, scratch, scratch, scratch, as more smash into them, then go into another machine to wrap them, swirl, swirl, swirl. Wham, bam, as fast as you can and to heck with quality.
Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add skwca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm well it is an experience then... And I guess thats what makes the MS-65 and MS-67 so sought after and valuable.. makes sense. Thanks all.
Valued Member
Canada
91 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add skwca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ONe good thing I did however find an Error coin. a small strike through on one of the coins.. not to bad.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And now you know skwca, why MS-62-3-4 and 5 and really hard to attain....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1465 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, I don't open those rolls because if the coins in it are damaged, I could'nt sell them anymore at a high price since it would be considered circulated. Keep them uncirculated by leaving them in the roll.
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1465 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Error coin... Picture please?
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05