Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are these boxes worth searching? Canadian.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

Canada
1525 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  7:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys, I cant seem to get an answer in the actual coin roll searching forum...seems they seem to focus on the same 4 topic....SOOOOOOO....I'm going to diversify a bit here. Upon my roll searching the last week, I have come across 2 different boxes. 1 box had shrink wrapped coins that are obviously all new from the mint and the other box had nicely paper wrapped green and white striped rolls which I was told are from the mint as well. Question is... If I got a box with these white and green paper wrapped coins from the mint...Are there treasures in there and worth searching or stick with a smaller quantity and get the customer wrapped coins only? What have you found out regarding all this? The teller told me that they are coins that are sent back to the mint and they re roll them , box them, and ship them back out so they are as good as the customer wrapped rolls. Whats the real deal about these? Thank-you again in advance. CHEERS!

Pillar of the Community
661 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile Check qbvbsite's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint will not re-wrap rolls but there are people link brinks that will (which is probably the green wrapped rolls). The shink wrapped would most likely be the mint rolls.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1525 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, if all that is true then how does brinks work? Does everyone just put there coins into a bid brinks pot and they roll them and ship them out? If thats the case, how has everyone done searching these rolls. I have avoided them for the most part but had a few in the rolls that I got today and actually found a 1961 dime in there. Just want to know to keep refusing these rolls for now or if I should start accepting them when there are no more customer rolls left behind the counter?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
642 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile Check middross's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add middross to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey no harm in openning them. Worst case is that they are all new coins, and you re-roll them and bring them back.

The shrink wrapped ones WILL be new coins only. Not worth openning unless that is what you are looking for.
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twoplustwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok - I'll fill you in on rolls.

Rolls you don't want:

1- "shotgun" rolls. These are rolls that are rolled tightly on both ends. They are typically white in color. These have been sorted, and will typically contain only newer coins, dated 1990+

2- "shrinkwrap" rolls. These are rolls direct from the mint. If you're looking for older coins, forget these.

Rolls you do want:

1- Customer wrapped. Any roll where the paper is "folded" on one (or both) ends. Also rolls housed in clear plastic holders that are held shut with those plastic "push buttons"

Problem is, you won't know what you're getting until the teller brings them to you from the change room. I feel silly telling them "uhh, I don't want those cause they aint got what I'm looking for in em" when they went through the trouble of getting 10-20 rolls (or boxes) from the change room, but I've done it. I have also received a box of those shotgun rolls I described above from a Scotia branch, only to immediately walk across the street to an RBC branch to dump em. No point bringing them home cause I know full well there's nothing but 1990 and newer dates in them. It's a pain in the butt, but it's part of the game.

Have fun!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1525 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hear ya. Thats what happened the other day. Ordered 40 rolls from the bank and I always ask for customer wrapped coins and after a few min, the teller came back with 20 "shotgun rolls" as you call them, 10 shrink wrapped and a roll of 10 with 9 paper wrapped and 1 shrink wrap. I told her I didn't want the others, only the 1 10pack and she told be the the other "shotguns" were just as good. I'm all confused at this point because I have always stayed away from the shotgun rolls until today when in the group of 40 rolls I picked up, 5 rolls were shotgun rolls and I found my 1961 in it. Just a lucky break I guess so I just wanted to confirm that the was an off roll most likely and that the shotgun rolls should be avoided still. CHEERS!
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what I've learned from constant CRH'ing the past 4 months, like a box a day habit. Machine rolled coinage can be, and I stress can be very good. I had my best ever box from my home branch. It was machine rolled from Garda (a company like Brinks). I think I got like 170 George VI's, 20 wheats and a whole lot of pre '70 Canadian. Now, with that said, it is also possible to get a box of of nothing as well. The key here is to look at the rolls in box when you get them. All shiny coins on the end = no good. And I have a theory about this. Newer pennies are lighter, therefore in the sorting machine they stay on top, so when you get box with many 2000 or newer end coins, they will all invariably be newer coins in those rolls.

My 2 cents.
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twoplustwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
secoinedchance - That might be the case for penny rolls, but from my experience if you're seaching nickels, dimes, or quarters, those machine rolled "shotgun" rolls will contain newer coinage 99% of the time.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Twoplustwo, a very good point. All I search is pennies. I should have specified that....
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mokpie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have others experienced similar results with ''shotgun'' rolls? Assuming that a lot of people CRH boxes, wouldn't it be inevitable that you get these types of rolls since thats what would generally come in a full box?

In my brief experience, I've gone through a box of shotgun dimes and am now working on a box of shotgun nickels. The dime box yielded two silvers and about 25% that were 1968-1999.

So far with the nickels, probably about 5% pre 1982.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05