Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Potosi full date 1678 cob

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  08:52 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mikelley to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Picked this up in Madrid. A full date 1678 cob from Potosi. Rather beat up but date is visible.

Mike

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hammerrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! ... an 8 Reales cob is pretty high on the never-ending list of coins I want to acquire!
Pillar of the Community
France
1303 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:30 am  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have here a very nice spanish colonial 8 reales silver cob, struck by the famous assayer Thomas de Ergueta at the Royal Mint in Potosi Bolivia during the reign of Spain's King Felipe IV (1621-1665).

Ergueta was appointed assayer in Potosi in 1651, in order to deal with the debasement scandal of the late 1640's that produced one of the world's first global financial crises.
Due to the sub-standard silver fineness and low weight of the cobs being produced in Potosi, merchants around the world began refusing these cobs as payment.
Ergueta assumed his new role in 1651 and that year produced the last of the cobs bearing the shield design.

In 1652 the first transitional cobs appeared bearing the new "pillars and waves" design (and with the PH monogram above the pillars), which was adopted in its final form by 1656.
Ergueta was active as assayer from 1651-1679, making him one of the longest reigning assayers during the 199 years of cob production at Potosi.

And I actually have a similar one with the same date :p (hence this long description from my database)
You have two dates on your coin, which makes it very nice (3 is the top - you are missing the bottom one in the grid)
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick glance without comparing style elements, pretty sure that's actually 1658 with the Spanish "5"... assayer E, as mentioned, was there through that whole period. Philip IIII vs. Charles II in the legend would confirm, though none of that is visible.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikelley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the correction guys. I mistook the 5 for a 7. Good catch.

Mike
Pillar of the Community
France
1303 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't watched the wrong title, that's actually 1658 :)
Here is mine : http://www.numismaticageneral.com/t...-essayador-e
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice looking and very detailed cob Mike. These are very cool coins to treasure. This is my 1678 8 Reale Potosi sea salvaged from the Santa Maria De La Consolacion:

Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin, hard to find in these days :)
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
especially it's in a nice condition :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05