Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

local bank notes

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  4:31 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Been collecting coins for quite awhile but not really currency, but would like to. I've seen bank notes with local banks on the notes. What are these called exactly and did all small banks have their own "stamp" ,for lack of a better term, on them? I live is a small town of Leland, Il with a population of about 1,000 and I know they had some and would love to find one. And what denominations did they do this to?

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
National currency is the type that look like regular notes, except they have the name of the bank and its charter number. New ones are series 1929, but there are also large-size nationals.

Large come in $1-2-5-10-20-50-100, small in 5-10-20-50-100.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that gives me something else to be on the look out for. I was at a local dealer the other day and he pulled out a green book that seem to list all of these along with known examples and values. I need to ask where I can find that book if I get serious about this.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That green book may have been Paper Money of the United States by Friedberg, the new 2010 edition is not green, it's a new and improved one in color.
Bill Collector
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply, Amazon here I come!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, you might want to take a look at Obsolete Notes. Most states had them. Here is a book on them for IL:
http://www.shopnumismaster.com/prod...tes-illinois

Here is a list of some, with photos:
http://vernpotter.com/VernPotter/Illinois.htm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obsolete currency is so pretty and ornate. I have some baby bonds that were issued in Louisiana around 1874 and some fractional obsolete currency. I put them in a poster, but they shift around in there, so I will have to do something different with them. Pics are little blurry, but you get the idea of how they all look.

They designed them so pretty back then.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice display, CajunLady. You might want to try and put them in a plastic envelope and then tape the envelope to the poster board. Like some double faced tape behind it or create a circle of tape and use that. That way you don't see the tape and it'll look nicer.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great idea Wquinn! I will do just that next time I am looking for something to do. They will stay in place that way. Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OH, Briank...........do a search on Ebay and put in your state... then select the group "coins and paper money". You may be surprised as to what you will find.

Have fun looking.

Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to try that, but I'm sure it would be pretty pricey!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reference book to buy for National Bank Notes is written by Don Kelly. It is organized by each state listing every known bank charter number along with the values for each bank. It goes into much more detail than the Freidberg book.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'll have to look that one up too. I noticed there is town (small one) next to me note up soon on ebay. Wish I had one of these books so I knew what to bid.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give me the information and I will look it up.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a $ 1929 Earlville Illinois note, had a crease but still has to be a rare note, First National Bank Of Earlville, sold for 241.00 was that a deal? Grade wise unsure ,looked good except the crease horizontally.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, it was a $20 note
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05