Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944-D Jefferson from bank roll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add phil5280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Opinion on grade appreciated - thanks!

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You found this in a bank roll? Remarkable.Zero wear it appears to me.

MS-63

Ok, I would say MS-66 or even MS-67 on the features, but the luster (judging by this photo) seems to be impaired (this is a quote straight out of Whitmans Red Book, page 9 2012 version "Condition of Coins) so MS-63.

Please do NOT attempt to clean this coin, unless you want to ruin it!

I am a newbie, so I could be wrong, but I do have a war nickel that is MS-66 and the luster as well as all the features are nearly perfect and it reflects like a mirror.

IF I am wrong, please tell me why, I wish to learn. If quoting the Red Book is a bad idea, why?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53 I suppose with a hit on the steps. NICE FIND!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4410 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ The nickel guy-
Where is the hit on the steps located? Also, where are you guys seeing wear? the hair, eyebrows, columns and steps are all very clearly defined....is the lustre impairing its grade?
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phil5280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe there is a very minor nick on the far right side of the steps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5377 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome roll find! I would go with an AU-55 maybe a AU-58 if most of the luster is there. The cheekbone and the lower jaw appear a tad dull suggesting that there is wear but then again these sliders are usually more difficult to grade from scans because the luster does not show up as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the image is probably a scan and not a photo. scans dont do justice for the luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ The nickel guy-
Where is the hit on the steps located? Also, where are you guys seeing wear?

Perhaps it is the image because it may be a scan. I zoomed in and can't make out whether the base of the triangle on the right hand side has wear. I can't make out the right hand side of the steps either whether it is a shadow or a hit. I think it is a swell coin, I don't mean to offend you in any way by being the low grader. From the images provided it appeared that the cheek had some wear too so maybe it is better than my guess .. I suppose.
Can you give us bigger and better images?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that wear is showing in the hair and cheek but only ever so slightly. On the reverse I believe I see wear on the vertical columns. AU-55
Edited by Peter4805
03/10/2012 08:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2740 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:36 am  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU+ silver nickle roll find! Wow! Great find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2740 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:04 pm  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 44 d roll find.

Wanna trade

Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phil5280 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, most of my war nickels look just like that TJsCoins! They have been through a few wars from the looks of them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol - that is what most of my war nicks look like too, G-4.

The OP's find is truly awesome though. AU-55, tough to tell with this pic....it could be better.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cfishernb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's mine

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05