Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 Large Cent Can I please get some grade opinions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:01 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jpcoins1400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

may I please get some grade opinions on this?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Edited by jpcoins1400
03/09/2012 7:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not do this type of coin but using the same scale that I use on Morgans I would call it AU-58 and would not be shocked AU-55

The nose tip looks to have a rub as the hair above the ear and on the tiara. But That's just me
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Edited by twohawks
03/08/2012 11:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks MS-64 to me. But I don't know about the scratches. they look to recent. details grade maybe.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  01:43 am  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What grade did they give it?
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Learn More...
United States
6504 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found the coin online, but I won't spoil the surprise.
8 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinauctioneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a chocolate candy to me. yummy. NGC MS-61
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpcoins1400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
twohawks: please give me a few more days to answer your question I want to get just a few more opinions.thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2280 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  08:10 am  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with an AU-58 as well. Just a few too many dings to give it a MS designation IMO. Really nice coin though with some nice mint glow still there. Here's a similar style I have in my Type Set that is RAW but I have to give it a MS-something.... Hope this helps.. PG

"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpcoins1400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.paleoguy45: that is a very nice example great coin,i was going to do the same and put it in my type set, I am going to crack it out of the slab.needed opinions first before I did.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its MS62-63 range
Pillar of the Community
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with AU-58. Nice coin!
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpcoins1400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies,I bought it as UNC details,due to the scratch by the stars.but, it caught my eye so much since it looked to have great eye appeal and good for a type set,but, it does have that one issue,I probably over paid for it,but it looked like it was pretty good even though its a details grade.
Learn More...
United States
14063 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally see no wear on it. Nice eye appeal ;)
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure if that scratch at the 2nd star (looks like maybe a staple scratch?) would make it be a details grade but I am guessing it would, I am going to say MS-63 if the scratch isn't bad or NGC may have called it UNC details if that scratch is bad. Do you have it in hand? if so how bad does that scratch look? It doesn't look to distracting in the photos but it is definitely there and not sure if its distracting enough in hand to make it a details grade

Edit: That is what I get for looking at the coin and not reading the posts before giving an answer, I see it does have a details grade from your post, but I usually try to give my opinion on grade before I read what anyone else has said so they don't sway my thoughts. I would still like to know if that scratch is deep at the star and if it is easily visible in hand
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpcoins1400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is hard to see but, its there. my opinion is it is a staple scratch as well.its not deep at all.But it does have slight contact marks,but the only one that would be considered a scratch is the one by the stars.
Edited by jpcoins1400
03/09/2012 8:25 pm
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 IMO
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05