Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

This worth anything?

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3633 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the plant on the 2001 COA CoF 50c is a depiction of the Australian Wattle Tree, but I can't confirm it anywhere I've looked.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nancyc I think you might be right be interesting to find out
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Golden wattle it is nancyc:
http://www.australian-threepence.co...ion-50c.html
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks FNQ. This is what made me think nancyc was right, sorry for the bad pic..they're everywhere around here

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3633 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some of the DPL coins I've bothered to do images of:

10c 2005 Rev DP Lines

10c 2006 Obv DP Lines

50c 2001 CoF Rev DP Lines

50c 2003 Vol Rev D.Ck top left, DP Lines lower

50c 2003 Vol Rev DP Lines

50c 2006 Rev DP Lines above shield right

50c 2006 Rev DP Lines above shield Left

DPL are also found on:
20c Rev, under P'pus body looking like rather thick bars
5 cent, inside L elbow of Echidna - like thick bars
5 cent, under L claw of Echidna - like fine spears
Apec $1, a few very faint small ones, but I don't think I kept any
I'll see if I can rustle up some other images.

Nancy
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3633 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't find the 20c or $1 coins, but here are some 5c ones:

2001 5c Rev DP Line

2002 5c Rev DP Lines Elbow Bar c2

2002 5c Rev DP Lines Elbow Bar

2006 5c Rev DP Lines

2008 5c Obv DP Lines c2

2008 5c Obv DP Lines.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Nancy...how do you know the difference between a DPL and a die crack?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:31 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The DPL are very straight and parallel, die cracks arent that uniform.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nancyc .

I'll have a guess even though my name isn't nancyc I don't know much about these but I'd say it's the size as a die crack I think would be bigger, deaper and show a real crack where the polished die is more like a scratch or scuff like it may have been cleaned..MAYBE
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3633 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
enworb pretty much spelled it out. Die Cracks are not normally straight, although they can be, but thickness along the length will vary, whereas DPL are quite uniform, straight, and nearly always parallel. Both DC's and DPL's are raised above the surface. If a line is Incuse, it's more probably a PMD scratch or gouge.

Die cracks might have little cuds along the length or at the thickest end where they began, and as metal doesn't usually break in a straight line, they are usually uneven and a bit crooked or jagged.

A die crack will be visible on the surface of all parts of the coin including the devices, but DPL's will only show in the fields. So basically if the line is through any raised part of the coin, it's most likely a Die Crack, and if it's only visible on the flat field of the coin, it's most likely a DPL.

Check out some of my previous die crack pictures:

50 Cent Die Cracks
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=109021

20 cent Die Cracks
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=105950

10 cent Die cracks
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=105943

5 Cent Die Cracks
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=105705

Nancy
Edited by Nevol
03/11/2012 03:46 am
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gee thanks for that Nancy (& others)....now I know that some that I have been calling ' a die crack' are not that at all

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3633 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more 5 cent DPL:

5c 2006 DPL Elbow Bar 5 Diff coins

5c 2007 DPL Elbow Bar

Obviously more common on the 2006 coins.

Nancy
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05