Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Eisenhower Dollar Man Golfing on the Moon Found after 40 yrs

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
stewart
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:26 am Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I think this is important enough to have it's own thread

An interesting discovery has been made in the Eisenhower Series.
As some of us remember Alan Shepard made a couple of golf drives while on the moon with a modified club head that was adapted to screw onto a sampling arm that was aboard the spacecraft during the Apollo 14 mission in 1971.
Well this was not lost on Frank Gasparro the designer of the Eisenhower dollar. On the reverse of the early years of the Ike series, 71 and 72 that I know for sure, Gasparro placed a man playing golf on the moon just above and right of the "G" in the designers initials.
A member of the Ike Group (Brian Vaile)found this quite awhile ago and I just took it at face value that it was there and that is what was. Due to Brian's unique ability to spot varieties. I did not know that others had serious doubts. Then a couple weeks ago he started a thread asking if anyone else has seen the "Little Guy" Golfing on the the moon and if they have to please share their pictures.
I found the Little Guy Golfing on two coins and posted them
With the Little Guy in two different positions. One looking like he is Either making a putt or getting ready to drive the ball with the club down on a 72 D, and with the club up like in the middle of a back swing on a 1971 D FEV Struck on Proof Planchet and a gentleman named Chris found one and posted it.
Now It is going to be an addition in the next Eisenhower dollar Book published by the Ike Group.
Below are just one example there are 7 more coins showing this on the thread link below
Link to Thread: http://ikegroup.org/php3.0.2/phpBB/...4b65f161f4fb
Talk about having a blast with a series of coins
Wow.
If anyone else sees this on any of their Eisenhower's please feel free to share them.

Here is a picture of the Little Guy Golfing on the
1971 D FEV Struck on a proof planchet

Edited by stewart
03/10/2012 12:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2701 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:06 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a little bit blurry discoloration that, like a stain of water on a wall, I suppose you can interpret as anything you want.

Since it's a discoloration and neither raised or engraved into the metal, how would the designer have added it on purpose?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:18 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shot I posted is just one coin that this can be seen on.
In the LINK to the thread previously mentioned there are 7 more coins that this can be seen on. From myself and two other collectors.

Edit to add:in the shot above the golfer is raised (In Relief)
on the coin just sometimes it is kind of difficult to show 3d when shooting with a 2d device
Edited by stewart
03/10/2012 12:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2412 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No offense but I do not see a golfer. However I didn't see Jesus in that toast that sold on eBay for alot of money.

Anything that gets someone interested in the hobby is a good thing.

Happy Hunting
Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.~ GEORGE WASHINGTON
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, whatever it is, it's present on all my 72-t3 Ikes and later, blue, brown and clad. That area is flat on my type ones. Granted, I'd chalk this "golfer" interpretation up to Ike collector dementia and pareidolia (right along with the alleged lunar orbiter).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its big foot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't see the skull *cough!* "golfer." :-)
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins. Attribution Services.
Numismetrica
Coin Collection Management Software for your Desktop and Mobile Devices.
Edited by SteveCaruso
03/10/2012 2:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I took some pictures, and I'm becoming more convinced.

This is a 1972 Type 1. As expected, it is golfer-free.

But, Here's a 1973-S blue Ike. Interestinger!

And here's a '73-S brown Ike.

And I see the same thing less clearly on circulation strikes from '72 type 3 and later - this is a 1973:

And here is a 1978:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:27 pm  Show Profile Check cc99999's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 73-D in MS66 and the golfer image is plain as day... I think it's something that shows up clearly in strong early die state strikes... like the REV in the FEV 71-Ds.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9147 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CF, I see it too!

Quote:
Gasparro placed a man playing golf on the moon just above and right of the "G" in the designers initials.
In all honesty, I doubt Gasparro would make an unauthorized design change--and wouldn't it have to be added to the hub? I doubt he worked on individual dies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:38 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CaptainFwiffo,

On the circulation strikes it is very difficult to see. As the detail tends to mush together quite quickly as die state advances. Die State Is Everything when looking for these
VLDS (Very Early Die State) circulation strike examples are needed to see it clearly. Or Proof Coins. Also is only on the 1971 and 1972 Eisenhower's On 1973 and later it is a golf tee flag. That has been well known for quite sometime. And was thought that all of them was the golf tee flag until recently. Brian spotted the golfer on some Early Die State 71 and 72 Eisenhower's
The only reason it comes through the way it does on the shot I posted above is because we were in research under the impression that there were none on the 1971 D FEV Friendly Eagle Variety. And Brian Vaile made the comment about how much easier it was to see them on proof coins.
And I happened to remember that I had a 1971 D FEV struck on a Proof Planchet from San Fransisco. and there the Little Guy was.

If you have an extra couple of minutes read through this. It really helps
http://ikegroup.org/php3.0.2/phpBB/...77cebf8b4adb
Edited by stewart
03/10/2012 3:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  4:13 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cc99999,
Your are right Strong Strike Early Die State are key to being able to see it.
You are also right about the Re-Entry Vehicle on the 1971 D Friendly Eagle Variety. the con trail design which also is only visible in earlier die state examples. Frank Gisparro's mischief as it is called is legendary on the Eisenhower dollar Series.
Dig out some of your early die state 71 and 72 circulation Ike's and Proof's and check it out. There are some other little differences that I am sure you will notice that I will not mention here.
See Signature line Below

Terry
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RealMetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly how many vodkas do I have to drink before I start seeing these golfer images?
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I'm embarrassed to say that I can see it. I wish I couldn't, because it sounds crazy, but I can.

Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fatboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can remember I loved the 70's also!
Them were the day's my friends!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Exactly how many vodkas do I have to drink before I start seeing these golfer images?

Well I am not quite how many you can drink before the next edition Eisenhower Book comes out.

This will be in the book. we are just working on small differences in the years that we have found this Little Guy on.

COLLECTIBLE IKE VARIETIES - FACTS, PHOTOS and THEORIES
Volume 2 came out first
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperba...ies/18703664

From the writer of the book

Quote:
Volume 1 will be out sometime in 2011 and will have our new catalog of the Series, a section with photographs of many of the more interesting Ikes that have come our way, and multiple "How to" chapters dealing with the many issues confronting Ike collectors (and collectors of other moderns) in this internet and TPG era.

Another Quote from the Author on Thu Mar 08, 2012

Quote:
OK, OK, the "Little Guy" will be in Volume 1 as exactly the kind of mischief Gasparro has displayed before. Great work all of you following Brian's lead. I've been slow to accept this image but now I'm hooked.

This was meant to be a
"something cool found in the hobby of numismatics" kind of thing. and I really enjoy this forum a lot and thought I would give back to a forum that has helped to advance my knowledge in the field of my chosen hobby. With very pleasurable and knowledgeable people. This forum is now some of the first people in all of numismatics that know about this out side of the Ike Group.
Edited by stewart
03/10/2012 7:17 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05