Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Eisenhower Dollar Man Golfing on the Moon Found after 40 yrs

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with barry g's post.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3467 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:50 pm  Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terry:

I'm still sticking with "THE MAN FROM SPACE!"

Chuck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CPC24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at my 71 silver proof, and sure enough, he's there! Crazy.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Check bkprewitt's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bkprewitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly see something there in my Ikes 1972 and after that's consistently there, but I can't say that I see what I'd call a golfing astronaut. Maybe I need more magnification.

-Brian
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8246 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a slight texture of the coin surface that creates a faint raised ridge on the coin. Calling it a "golfer" is "marketing". Was it deliberate? Highly unlikely.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm still sticking with "THE MAN FROM SPACE!

Chuck that is a good one,

Me personally I would like to see something like
Shepard Shooting the Moon
or something like that.

Since it was Alan Shepard who's hard work and ingenuity in smuggling a modified golf club head and a couple of golf balls onto a Moon Landing Mission made it possible for this quite unique piece of history in our Moon Landing Program to take place.
But that is not my place to pick a name for this discovery. That honor should go to Brian Vaile, who is the person that discovered this. He has known this I think for about a year and he had basically the same reactions as I have had here.
The questioning of my sanity.

The name is not a marketing thing. Those are left to the various varieties,Like High and Low Leaf Wisconsin Quarters, HotLips Morgan dollars, Ear Ring Peace dollars and such. This is not believed to be a variety at all. It is believed at this point to be on all 1971 and 1972 Eisenhower dollars. taking it out of the realm of the variety coin. It is just a fact of what is on the coin for identification as to what is being looked at. Much in the same way one would identify the wheat stalks when discussing a part of a Wheat cent reverse.

I greatly appreciate ALL of the comments. Particularly Barry G and Condor's. After Barry G's comment the other day while the Mrs. My Son and Myself were getting our cycles out to take them for a short run to stretch their legs. I reflected on what he said.

Quote:
I see a little bit blurry discoloration that, like a stain of water on a wall, I suppose you can interpret as anything you want.

Since it's a discoloration and neither raised or engraved into the metal

It reminded me that my eye had already become accustom to seeing the raised relief in the Golfer on a number of coins in hand so that is naturally what I would see in the pictures. But those that had not seen the raised relief in hand may not see it in the same way as someone that had experienced in hand and able to "Wobble the coin" would.
I will have to work on my pictures of it. Try maybe photographing from a steeper angle to be able to show the relief.
All photography is done freehand with one of three different digital cameras with one of four Loupe's held in had in front of the lens.
I definitely need to set up a photography stand
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20365 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. It is something that I am definitely going to look for on mine.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
9200 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Frank Gisparro's mischief as it is called is legendary on the Eisenhower dollar Series.
Since this is put forth seriously, I'll bite--how is "Gisparro's mischief" "legendary"--did he ever admit to adding unauthorized design changes? I see nothing wrong with having some tongue-in-cheek fun, but to suggest these these are serious die varieties requires the same level of serious research and proof--not just crossing one's eyes and "seeing" a golfer in a blurry spot of metal. Sorry if I sound facertious here--but really, I don't see the golfers--at all.

I'm a bit of a stickler on this distinction because as a kid coin collector, I picked up a book on errors/die varieties that made all sorts of claims--but with scarcely any research. It turned me off to collecting die varieties for decades.
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm. I must admit to never having heard of this particular nugget of Ike-dollar lore before now. From the pictures, it sure does look like a tiny little golfer - I'll definitely be looking at my Proof Ikes tonight to see if I can spot him.

Things like this really make me realize how much effort some folks put into researching things like this - I've spent a lot of time admiring my Ikes, but I'd have never ever noticed this on my own in a million years. My eyesight is getting worse with age, and that doesn't help.
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like a numismatic Rorschach test. One can see what he wants to see.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DVCollector Said:

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with having some tongue-in-cheek fun, but to suggest these these are serious die varieties requires the same level of serious research and proof

I could not agree with you more when it comes to varieties
Your comments were not taken to be facetious. But as a collector who was burned in this area before And the fact that you took the time to make comments is appreciated.

As mentioned above this is not believed to be a Variety or Error

Quote from one of my previous posts:

Quote:
This is not believed to be a variety at all. It is believed at this point to be on all 1971 and 1972 Eisenhower dollars. taking it out of the realm of the variety coin. It is just a fact of what is on the coin for identification as to what is being looked at. Much in the same way one would identify the wheat stalks when discussing a part of a Wheat cent reverse.

Brian Vaille,The person that discovered this has known and studied this for about a year now. And is one of the most prolific discover of Third Party Grader Attributed Varieties in the Eisenhower dollar Series. This was not done quickly or in haste by no means.
It is just the first time it has been mentioned outside of the Ike Group.

As far as "Gasparro's Mischief" it is just something that is well known amongst Ike collectors, Specific incident that comes to mind is when his original 1971 Eisenhower was minted, Politicians of the day felt that the Eagle on the reverse looked too fierce given that the cold war was going on and he was not happy when they made him tone it down by flattening the Flared Breast Feathers and take the fierce looking ridge above the eye off, leading to the Friendly Eagle Variety. On that Variety he did put what some call a Re-entry Vehicle in the shape of the contrail on nasa patches of the day at roughly the 10:00 position of the earth. That is strangely enough quite quickly worn on the dies also, And only visible on earlier die state 1971 RDV-006 FEV (Friendly Eagle Varieties)

One other earlier bit of rebellion of Gasparro''s is on the Lincoln Cent Reverse.His original design included the words "Lincoln Memorial" and 13 stars around the rim of the coin, which he removed at the request of staff at the Mint. Despite the complaints of his superiors, the design retained his initials to the right of the monument as well as the image of Lincoln seated in the monument, making it the first American coin to have the same likeness on both sides of the coin.

ljenkins990 Said:

Quote:
Hm. I must admit to never having heard of this particular nugget of Ike-dollar lore before now

Nobody has the people on this forum are some of the first people in all of Numismatics to learn about this outside of the Ike Group.

ljenkins990 Said:

Quote:
Things like this really make me realize how much effort some folks put into researching things like this

You are Absolutely Right the shear amount of time spent studying this series of coin staggering.
Edited by stewart
03/12/2012 7:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2725 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, but after looking at about 40 different Ikes from 1971-72 under magnification, I still think this is a bit of a stretch. On a few of my coins I can see an area that looks like a slightly raised bump under extreme magnification and when angled just right. It still doesn't really look like a man golfing to me, but as I mentioned before I can see how somebody might possibly interpret it as such.

This reminds me of a previous discussion we had about a mysterious miniature "owl" that supposedly appears on the dollar bill, complete with a detailed explanation as to why this figure was purposely included by the designer. Of course, the reality is simply that it's part of a repeating pattern that appears elsewhere on the bill and the part exposed in the section in question kinda sorta looks like an owl (or an elephant or a rabbit) if you're looking for it. Unless and until the designer himself comes forth and admits to purposely adding a golfer to the design, I'm just not going to believe it, sorry.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:10 pm  Show Profile Check stewart's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
barryg,
I completely understand your position on this and you are not alone in the least
Ever feel like the only nut in the bowl. That's Me
This hobby is anything but boring

Here are a couple of shots of a 1971 S Ike Proof that I was able to shoot for the people that did not check out the link to the thread mentioned earlier.

Edited by stewart
03/12/2012 8:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are those of us that not only think outside the Box, But we Live there, and it works for us.

I don't have an opinion on the existence of the golfer at the current time but feel compelled to point out that the box is a web of superstition created by blind adherance to the status quo and maintained by a confused language that gives us a shared illusion that in aggregate we know everything.

It's most improbable that if this golfer is intentional that it might appear on any but the earliest strikes of a die.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar Of The Community
9200 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I could not agree with you more when it comes to varieties
Your comments were not taken to be facetious. But as a collector who was burned in this area before And the fact that you took the time to make comments is appreciated.
I'm happy you took my comments in the spirit they were intended--and that we're having a friendly discussion--that's something I enjoy about CCF.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05