Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eisenhower Dollar Man Golfing on the Moon Found after 40 yrs

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
2977 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:21 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extreme closeups, stewart. I'm still not seeing a definitive golfer, however...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8751 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had a quiet laugh over what is really a brilliant series of observations.
Interesting thread, and I don't collect Ikes. I may change my mind about that.
Edited by sel_69l
03/12/2012 10:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is interesting to see people trying to drive up the interest on collecting this coin, but I doubt it was intentional. On that link of the web site, I can see a resemblance on one of the coins. It is just some die defect that resembles it. The mind will let you see anything, if you wish hard enough.

Great marketing strategy for the series though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

CladKing Said:

Quote:
I don't have an opinion on the existence of the golfer at the current time but feel compelled to point out that the box is a web of superstition created by blind adherance to the status quo and maintained by a confused language that gives us a shared illusion that in aggregate we know everything.

Truer words I have not read in a long time concerning being stuck inside the box. That is why I have since my teen years I have thrived outside the box. being there mentally constantly reminds how little I know and how much there is to learn. spending days with my Grandfather, Great Uncle and other people that were much older and more experienced than myself and listening to the things that had learned first hand and not in some Edited Text Book Version of certain events are some of my fondest childhood memories..

Quote:
It's most improbable that if this golfer is intentional that it might appear on any but the earliest strikes of a die.

That is exactly our findings so far. It is Very Hard to find on General Circulation coins so far. And is quite a bit easier to see on proof coinage. Brian Vailes comment to me about that very thing is what led me to take a look on the 1971 D FEV Struck on Proof Planchet at the beginning of this thread.

DVCollector Said

Quote:
we're having a friendly discussion--that's something I enjoy about CCF

I could not agree more I love this place because it does not degenerate into mud slinging arguments. There is good spirited debate which is I feel absolutely critical to getting to a consensus on any given topic. There are generations of real world knowledge and experience that are focused on a single subject That they actually enjoy. It Doesn't Get Any Better Than That
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
stewart:

Indeed thank you for the macro-shots of that area. I thought you had gone batty for a few weeks

now I see a little silhouette of a man next to that G in Gasparro's sig, if I stare at it right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very good read for the series background in general and some insight
to the designer of the Eisenhower dollar.

SUNDMAN-LITTLETON LECTURE

Thursday 31 July, 2008

ANA Convention, Baltimore MD

http://ikegroup.org/SUNDMAN.htm

Quote:
I thought you had gone batty for a few weeks

argentum,

Yea so did I while I was first looking at this, I had to show it to
everyone in the family with no mention of what I was seeing. I just circled the area I wanted them to look at and had them tell me what
they saw. Ended up quite a bit more saw it right off he bat than didn't
So I stopped doubting the sanity of the situation.

I Just Love Ike's. Never a Dull Moment
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvandemark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've gone through all my Ikes twice and I've found a couple that if I close one eye, squint with the other, stick the tip of my tongue out of the right corner of my mouth and stand on my left leg.....I can almost see something.

I did follow your link though and I believe they are there, mine are just not struck well enough to show through.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chuck,
Just saw your pictures yesterday of the
"THE MAN FROM SPACE!" Golfer in the thread in Ike Land from September of last year.

All I can say is Whoa VERY NICE SHOTS

I totally missed all of the replies to that thread.
All I saw was Brian's initial post about the subject. Much more makes sense know
Did not know that you were
there at the very beginning along with the others. I have to
to remember to subscribe to certain threads.

Link for those that are interested

http://forum.ikegroup.info/viewtopi...0&hilit=golf

Quote:
mvandemark
close one eye, squint with the other, stick the tip of my tongue out of the right corner of my mouth and stand on my left leg.....

Amazingly Enough that is exactly how I had to maneuver myself
so that I could see it the first time.
Since we have two collectors that have found the easiest way to see this golfer.
It seems we may have some sort of consensus on a
method of viewing. maybe we can get a vote and
make this the official recommended viewing position ?

Attempt at humor
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add corey9493 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it too~!
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add buffalojohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 1971S proof. There is something there. I am going to try to
photograph it closer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2977 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  08:16 am  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From Dictionary.com:

Quote:

pareidolia n: the imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features.

Interesting choice of example for that definition, wouldn't you agree?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a man on the moon...also a rabbit...and a girl/gorilla...see....right here...

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.~ GEORGE WASHINGTON

Don't take it personal I am just straight forward.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting choice of example for that definition, wouldn't you agree?

BarryG,

Quite a coincidence indeed. Very Cool Find

I was wondering if there is a pill that cures that condition?

Now the Golfer is being found in at least two different Golf stances on different years.
Before the write up can be done more early die state coins
need to be examined for repeatable conclusions.
And then the photography and cataloging begin.
Have not had a lot of time to devote the last week or so.
Trying to stay up on other research projects I have
outside of Numismatics
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool drawings, Jayman. It really makes the object more visible/believable that way. Kind of like the constellations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2012  08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been a great summer, I am glad collecting season is
back though.

I see in going over this thread again with starting up research
into the Golfer on the moon Ike's. That I never addressed
A very valid comment from DVCollector.

Quote:
In all honesty, I doubt Gasparro would make an unauthorized design change--and wouldn't it have to be added to the hub? I doubt he worked on individual dies.

In a thread by AAron Miller he had posted photos of the
June 1971 COINage Pictures of the Prototype Eisenhower dollar
If one clicks on the picture they will get a full sized version
of the photo. And the Golfer is fairly visible in the photo.
Picture Number 3 in the thread

http://forum2.ikegroup.info/viewtop...rticle#p4495

Also in the Ike Group Article named REPORT OF A PROTOTYPE IKE PROOF
3/4 of the way down the page are pictures of the
Eisenhower Museum's 1970 Galvano of the Eisenhower dollar Obverse
and Reverse.
Though the picture can not be enlarged the image is still visible and is more in line with the Golf flag
found on later date Eisenhowers
At least with reading glasses for me.

http://ikegroup.info/prototype.htm

And a close up of the area with Golf Flag
on the Galvano

http://ikegroup.info.customers.tige...age00415.jpg

I believe this goes higher up the minting process than individual
dies. Because it is found on the Prototype And The Coins Galvano
I hope this helps
Very Sorry for the lateness of the clarification. Summer time comes
and Serious research in coins gets put on the back burner.

I completely understand that Extraordinary Claims
Require Extraordinary Evidence
Edited by stewart
10/27/2012 09:16 am
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05