Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Judean coin brings $1 million at NYC auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:32 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

An ancient Judean coin has sold for $1.1 million at a New York City auction.

The Year 1 prototype silver shekel (SHEHK'-uhl) from A.D. 66 was bought Thursday night at Heritage Auctions by a private East Coast collector.

It's one of only two known Year 1 prototype silver shekels. The other one is in the collection of the Israel Museum.

It's the first silver coin struck by Jewish forces revolting against Roman rule in the first century. It features an image of a ritual chalice and three pomegranates.

Heritage says it's the highest price for any Judean coin paid at auction.

It's one of 2,200 ancient Judean coins from the Shoshana Collection assembled by a private Los Angeles-area collector. He bought it at a 1991 auction for more than $240,000.

Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty good return. I figure 400% since 1991.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow thats lots of money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$1.1 million? I am in
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9596 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This level of collecting I find incomprehensible. Here is the listing
Once you have it--do you ever handle it--or do you keep it locked away in a vault?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:29 pm  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you got to want it, you got to want it, especially if you have the cash. Maybe whoever bought it is hoping to sell it in twenty years? Make money like the coin's previous owner?
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Edited by ValiantKnight
03/10/2012 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9596 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VK, I'm sure there are people who buy such coins simply for passion of collecting.
I've also noticed from auction records how some coins are resold in 5-10 years, at significant markup.
I'm sort of relieved that my coins don't belong in the "investment class" of ancients--and I don't need to track their value, like stocks.
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
446 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thats a lot of money
"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
VK, I'm sure there are people who buy such coins simply for passion of collecting.
Sorry, didn't mean to be Captain Obvious

Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oxos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I followed that auction as well and stunned at the prices for Judean/Biblicals. Amazing!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05