Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Why should/shouldnt you collect Proof coins?

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You cannot deny the beauty of a frosted cameo proof coin.

muddler . . love that walker
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love my proof coins. They represent the highest form of the art of minting coins for their time and are stunning looking in my opinion. I also collect mint state and circulated coins as well, but I do not shun proof coins for any silly reason. They all have their place.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also really like the Proofs - especially the heavy frosted varieties. Hard to beat that beauty,

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have every proof set from 1942 to 2011. I have a few more older ones to get but kind of lost interest before I finished the whole collection. I do still try to get one of each variety each year (silver proof and clad proof) just in case I ever regain interest in them again down the road
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate both proof and business strike coins. Probably better than 95% of my collection is circulated strike, but I won't hesitate to buy a proof coin that I like. In fact, my local seller has a basket of proofs that have been broken out of sets which I usually cherry pick a few coins from each visit.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the proof coins. Theyre very different and very beautiful. I say collect both together.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ That is the reason you should collect proof coins
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another reason ;-)

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:13 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this one too!

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, made on specially polished planchets, struck multiple times to bring up the detail, handled carefully for sale to collectors.
Hey, I'm a collector, I can live with that!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12531 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have at least one set from the 40's somewhere to present on proof sets. I also break out many sets for Albums. However, since I have more of one type of Album, I usually end up with many extras in proofs. So I started a Proof only album which is in a 3 ringed binder and full of about 30 of those plastic pages that hold 20 2x2's.
Not even sure why I do that since they are all in several boxes and never get looked at anyway. Yes they are made to be looked at and not put into circulation but if in a box, what good are they? For the ones in Albums they at least get looked at occationally. Otherwise I think they are unnecessary. Sort of like making a gun with all Gold and Silver inlays and all engraved.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yarm, beautiful piece! Got a reverse photo?
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05