Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why should/shouldnt you collect Proof coins?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You cannot deny the beauty of a frosted cameo proof coin.

muddler . . love that walker
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love my proof coins. They represent the highest form of the art of minting coins for their time and are stunning looking in my opinion. I also collect mint state and circulated coins as well, but I do not shun proof coins for any silly reason. They all have their place.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also really like the Proofs - especially the heavy frosted varieties. Hard to beat that beauty,

Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have every proof set from 1942 to 2011. I have a few more older ones to get but kind of lost interest before I finished the whole collection. I do still try to get one of each variety each year (silver proof and clad proof) just in case I ever regain interest in them again down the road
Pillar of the Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate both proof and business strike coins. Probably better than 95% of my collection is circulated strike, but I won't hesitate to buy a proof coin that I like. In fact, my local seller has a basket of proofs that have been broken out of sets which I usually cherry pick a few coins from each visit.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the proof coins. Theyre very different and very beautiful. I say collect both together.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ That is the reason you should collect proof coins
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another reason ;-)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:13 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this one too!

Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, made on specially polished planchets, struck multiple times to bring up the detail, handled carefully for sale to collectors.
Hey, I'm a collector, I can live with that!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13042 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have at least one set from the 40's somewhere to present on proof sets. I also break out many sets for Albums. However, since I have more of one type of Album, I usually end up with many extras in proofs. So I started a Proof only album which is in a 3 ringed binder and full of about 30 of those plastic pages that hold 20 2x2's.
Not even sure why I do that since they are all in several boxes and never get looked at anyway. Yes they are made to be looked at and not put into circulation but if in a box, what good are they? For the ones in Albums they at least get looked at occationally. Otherwise I think they are unnecessary. Sort of like making a gun with all Gold and Silver inlays and all engraved.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yarm, beautiful piece! Got a reverse photo?
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05