Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whitman Folder advice / Thanks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  01:00 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So.. I've been browsing this section of the forum a bit and haven't yet run across anyone else who has asked this question.

I recently got a new whitman folder for my 1938-61 nickels because I found that I actually had a good number of the nickels needed for the series. But, even more so than my other whitman folders, I have such trouble getting the buggers in those too-small holes! I've tried the tip one side in and push down on the other side. But it often comes to me using a coin to push out the sides of the hole and "make room" for the coin, which leaves the book looking old/raggedy/sad.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure the album is on a flat, solid surface. Do what you were doing (one end in first) but use gloves or something so you don't mark up the coins and make sure to apply pressure to the end which is already inserted while you push down and in at an angle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CPC24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just started roll hunting nickels and had the same problem! I've managed to get most of them pushed in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may help.

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, sandman, I feel like that is the next step. I don't think I'm a weakling or anything, but I put the book on a flat surface (and have definitely tried using a tissue or something so not to scratch up the coin) and just tried to bang the coins in.

I'll try your suggestion again, mitch, and hopefully have it work out!

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13039 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although you may end up bending the pages a bit, one of the best methods is to bend the page at the location for a coin to be inserted. The reason is bending the page sort of opens the slot for that coin a little. When the pages are flat, the slots are as small as possible. Then pushing the coin into the slot becomese a bit of a problem since not easy to do with the Folder now in your hands. Placing the page over a table's edge though will allow you to bend the page a little with one hand and using the other to put the coin in place.
Another method used is to use a not so good coin to open the slot's top by running the coin around the slot. This sort of opens the hole to make the coin fit but then also makes it loose and may fall out every time you open it.
Those slots are made that way on purpose. The top of the slot is smaller than the bottom so once a coin gets in, will not fall out. Well worn coins do have a tendancy to fall out so kids have found wetting the back of the coin will reactivate the glue on the page and make the coin stay in place. One of the reasons we find so many coins with those dark lines on the backs.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozerman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I slide one side in, then place a microfiber cloth over the coin and use the bottom of a perscription bottles rounded edge to "roll" the coin in.
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add General Tso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually try to leave a small space (under album, like between two books), and then use the one end in first method. Or move the album so the empty hole is just off the table edge. This is a tricky way since its easier to push one through the back of the album. But it seems to work for me, you just have to take your time when doing it this way.

I always found the albums where the sides of the holes are kind of rounded into the openning are harder to work with then the ones that are just square cut into the page.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually try to leave a small space (under album, like between two books), and then use the one end in first method. Or move the album so the empty hole is just off the table edge. This is a tricky way since its easier to push one through the back of the album. But it seems to work for me, you just have to take your time when doing it this way.

I always found the albums where the sides of the holes are kind of rounded into the openning are harder to work with then the ones that are just square cut into the page.

You make my favorite chicken.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05