Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1860-O Seated half

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  01:10 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Amputating to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Here is my latest prize from a show : P Tell me what you think.. I tried to get a problem free coin, do you think it is? Sorry for multiple pictures, but I was taking pics through a loupe and I had to take 2 pictures of each side.

General look of obv

General look of rev

Top of obv

Bottom of obv

Top of rev

Bottom of rev

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4274 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-40. I was going to say XF-45 but I think the deep scratch above the H in "Half" might keep it from going higher.

I am not sure if the coin is original. It looks like there is some lines running across the coin on the obverse and reverse if you look really closely. It may have been lightly cleaned and retoned.

I really do like the coin though! Nice Purchase.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
03/11/2012 01:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around that die clash on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1280 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have enough Seated halves to know about varieties, but that mint mark is mighty high. Must have been some good moonshine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5108 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  05:15 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a WB-104 a tougher variety known as eagle laying egg! Very cool, I really like it scratch and all.

http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index...lars-1860-o/
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1280 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks westcoin, I knew one of you would have my back. Yes, egg-tastic coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratches and lines don't rise to the level of a problem IMO. However, I don't know about that large triangular depression below OF on the reverse. I guess that's the "die clash" CaptainFwiffo was referring to. It does not match any obverse die features and therefore is unlikely to be a clash. That leaves some kind of post-mint damage as the likely cause. I suppose it could be some photographic artifact but it looks like something indented the coin in this area. How does it look to you in-hand Amputating?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Amputating!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I meant when I said I couldn't wrap my head around it. It has the look of a die clash, but it doesn't match up. I was thinking maybe it's some sort of crazy MAD clash, but maybe it's something else.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amputating to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upon louping the coin inhand for no less than three minutes of intense scrutiny, I was unable to see any depression on the coin, I believe they are mere scratches that are traveling in similar paths : )

The thing about the eagle laying an egg is definitely a cool tidbit of information, thanks : )

I'm new to coin collecting, does every single coin have a variety? Since there are 7 varities, does that mean that in this year, that mint used 7 different master dies to strike coins? And what exactly is a die clash? I'm glad I have some knowledgable people on the forum to talk with, I'm really fascinated with the mintmark thing, It is something I didnt notice when I bought the coin.

I uploaded 2 additional pictures to maybe help you guys scrutinize the upper right quad of the rev.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice attractive coin, I'm a novice but personally I'd grade it at XF-45. The color is a little dark compared to original surfaces coins I have seen.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amputating to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks : )) Yeah it is XF, thats what me and the dealer agreed it was when I bought it, so it was an XF price.

I'm pretty sure the coin is original, or maybe cleaned extremely lightly in the past, its not imediately obvious.

Does anyone think this is a problem coin? It's got like bronze toning
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpcoins1400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index...lars-1860-o/

WB104 heres a good article for you.

looks like someone already gave it to you.
Edited by jpcoins1400
03/12/2012 11:43 pm
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice 45 IMO
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5108 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  05:15 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Amputating: I'm new to coin collecting, does every single coin have a variety?

Not every coin date/mint mark has varieties but most do. However most varieties aren't worth any premium nor do they solicit much interest, It's the outstanding ones that seem to get the bulk of interest, look to the popular series; Like Lincoln Cents - 1922 plain D, 1955 and 1972 Double Die, my favorite series, the 2¢ pieces have the 1864 Small Motto and the 1867 Double Die. Morgan dollars have had a big push with varieties due to the popularity of VAMs specifically the Top 100 VAMs, Buffalo nickels have there share too, the 1913 Type I & II, 1916 Doubled Die, the 3 legged and D/S mint marks, Mercury dimes have the 1942/1 and the micro S, just to list a few of the more popular one.

I suggest that you acquire the Cherry Pickers Guides (now in the 5th edition) co-authored by Bill Fivaz and JT Stanton, there are two volumes, the first one covering the lower denominations is a good place to start on lower cost coins. Also if you like Morgan dollars then get the TOP 100 VAM keys as well.

You can and will make money if you learn what to look for and attend coin shows or dealer shops, using knowledge gleaned from that book. In the past decade I've turned quite a few under $20.00 coin purchases into $200.00 or more, and a couple of times a lot more (twice over $1000.00)! Certain varieties are a lot of fun to search out, and when you finally find one for the price of a non variety coin - you SCORE big time if you decide to sell, as varieties generally have a strong market for the tough and popular ones.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05