Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

wondering what this marking mean/is ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  03:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ravenshaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys I recently joined the forum after having my interest in coins sparked by a friend. Since then I've taken rather careful note of most if not all coins that's pass through my possession. I recently found an Australian $2 dollar coin with a peculiar marking on it, ...its rather small and I asked my housemates if they had a few $2 coins I could compare it to, with the result of none of the other coins having this marking. Unfortunately my camera wont focus on such a small object so I've taken a larger shot and then sketched in pencil a zoomed diagram of what I'm seeing...it appears to be overlapping H's

thanks for future reference :)

Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
designers siggy, somewhere in the 90's ( 98 if I recall correctly ) they stopped putting them on
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey mate

A better pic would help heaps but at a rough guess it's something like glue etc or if it's a raised bit of metal from the coin I'd say a cud mark but we really need better pics
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5045 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:08 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse designers name is Ainslie Roberts, AR. Why is there a HH instead of AR

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks trout you beat me to the and thanks erkle I remembered about that as soon as I seen your post

So delay the cud remark and don't worry about the pic raven
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:14 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse designer was actually horst hahne trout, hence HH.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3706 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is HH, the initials of the designer, Horste Hahne of the reverse of the coin. It was only on the 1988 & 1989 coins.

The selected design was prepared by Mr Horst Hahne, with inspiration taken from a drawing by Mr Ainslie Roberts.

Removed from 1990 onwards for Indigenous reasons.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Edited by Nevol
03/11/2012 04:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:18 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
by the way mate!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5045 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:22 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So that explains it.... old mate Horst Hahne stole old Ainslie's design and I cannot fathom what the indigenous objection could have been.
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:24 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap offers an explanation here trout: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=19862
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  04:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ravenshaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haha cheers guys...is this a particularly rare find...im guessing there was quite a few of these printed and are still in circulation? even if its not worth anything more then $2 its interesting to know :) o and the coin is from 1988
Edited by Ravenshaw
03/11/2012 04:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  05:05 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not rare as all of those early $2 have it and there is tonnes and tonnes of them (especially 1988). 1988 is the largest mintage $2 by more than 3 times. Approx 160M compared to next highest 2008 with 47M. If you find them interesting keep one in you collection.
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ravenshaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
o well IU didnt think that it would be but I guess the positiven is I came out of it with knowledge I didnt have before :)....gents...to the vending machine!! ;)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  05:22 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stick around on this forum and theres heaps to be learnt. Its an information goldmine and we all love new members. Create a new topic with what you collect and some pics... we love at pics.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice finding!so is that belong to a private chop or public mint mark?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05