Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1732 Russian coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:30 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TomNJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello everyone,
I'm posting a 1732 Russian coin and was wondering if anyone can give me a "estimated value and grade". I realize it is difficult without holding it and appreciate any thoughts.
Thank you,
Tom

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a rare coin like this the first question should be about its authenticity. There are a couple of details in the design that would make me worried. The crown on Anna's head is a little "mumbled" in front and the cross points to a wrong part of the letter, the line of ornaments under her collar has wa-a-ay too few pieces, the cross in the eagle's tail is too broad, the cross on the orb in eagles talons is a wrong type (it was used in later issues).

Check the weight, it should be 28.44 grams.
Valued Member
Canada
366 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF! To get a better idea as to whether this coin is genuine and to its grade and value you may wish to check these websites:
http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/Wo...oinid=167952

http://www.library.yale.edu/slavic/....87.312.html
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomNJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you svslav, I'll get a weight on it tomorrow, I'm not familar with this coin so you bring up some valid points I need to check out, I found it metal detecting and the first thing I did when I got home was to check it with a magnet, it did not stick but as you point out I need to found out is it the real thing.

Thank you aiglet7, for your input and concerns also! And for the links, I will check them out and maybe find a local coin shop near work for a opinion.

Thanks again !

TomNJ

Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy this as genuine. The rim is beat up but the fields are clean. I can not imagine how this could happen in real life.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2219 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Metal detecting? Wowzer! Strongly believe it's genuine. This particular Anna ruble is home to more than 30+ varieties I believe. There is a specialized book for this only in Russian. I believe I have it somewhere but I can't even understand it to start out with.

If genuine, I would put it closer to more than 1000 dollars in value (not joking) . While the rim may seem odd, this is actually typical of coins struck in this era because they are manually struck, hence may have signs of slightly offstruck. Definitely don't come closer in such condition.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05