Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Are these 1952 & 1953 real proof sets?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Larryh86GT
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:08 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm not very familiar with proof sets and was wondering if these 1952 and 1953 proof sets being offered here were actual proof sets from the mint or something else?
The asking price seems high too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-RA...em230eea5d81

Pillar Of The Community
United States
9865 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are not put out by the mint like that. They were put together by someone out side the mint. I think the '52 cane in a cardboard box from the mint.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1502 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:59 pm  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original Mint packaging was pretty bad. It was a plain old square cardboard box that contained the coins each in individual plastic wraps. This dude spiffed it up a bit with flips and typed item names.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile Check cc99999's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My concern with that private packaging is that it appears to be PVC- so there's no telling what is going on with the coins. If you have a thousand dollars and want the proof sets- or can negotiate a price for them with the seller- be sure to get a return priveledge. There's not much value in having the sets in OGP- as the OGP is likely to be in pretty bad shape by now (pristine proofs sets in well preserved packaging is another matter)- so having them in another holder isn't a bad thing, on its face.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2463 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 15 yrs. ago my dad bought the exact sets. I think he paid 400. or so then. That's a good starting point if it were PDS mint sets. I'd say at least 150. too high, but I dont do proofs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1502 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:29 pm  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to add:

Yes, the price is way too high...they go for mid to high $200's each
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are lots of reasons to shy away from that offering on eBay. Not only is the price way too high and it does look like the coins are in soft plastic (PVC), the only pic with decent focus if the half and it does not look too great. You can't tell anything about the condition of the other coins and since they have clearly been removed from their original mint packaging you can't tell if the coins all came from a single mint set or were cobbled together. If you are going to pay what the older sets really cost, get original mint packaging or at least buy from a truly reputable dealer. At least back to 1950, sets in OGP still exist at fairy reasonable prices (compared to sets that have been removed from the OGP).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the time you should have proofs in hand to purchase, they require close examination to see flaws and to make sure they are truly proof coins. Price is to high anyway, their worth about half that at best.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1627 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i wouldnt touch it besides being highly off with the prices I dont do anything but OGP
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05