Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Show and tell - part 1

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Squire Wilson
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:34 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have only recently joined the Coin Community.
Over the past 6 months I have been checking my change and have come up with some interesting varieties. Mainly in the 25,50 cents and 1 dollar class. I would like to show these to other members, to demonstrate (yet again !) what a fun and fruitful past-time this can be.

I will start with the simplest group in my collection - the foreign coins that often wander into our pockets. Proving what a "globetrotting" lot we Aussies are. Or conversely, what an enterprising lot our foreign visitors are

I have attached the 5 cent and 10 cent "foreign visitors".
Also the 20 and 50 cent visitors

As you can see, for our 5 cent impostors there are the 25 Indonesian Rupiah and the 5 cents New Zealand.

For the 10 cent impostors it gets more interesting. 5 English New Pence, 10 English Old Pence, an American Quarter dollar, a Singaporean 50 cents, a Chinese 1 Yuan, a Fijian 10 cents and the New Zealand 10 cent piece !.

For the 20 cents "alternatives" I have found an English 10 New Pence (are "New Pence" more valuable than "Old Pence", or just smaller ?), 20 Francs from New Caledonia, 50 Sen from Malaysia and of course the 20 cents from New Zealand.

For the 50 cents I have found the handsome Fijian equivalent in my change.

Now I wonder which denomination gains most from passing through our pockets ?!

Squire

Valued Member
Australia
230 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection Squire

Recently found a 1950 English florin in amongst 20c coins

As long as the weight is the same it seems banks do not bother with content
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:45 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mate

Nice collection of circulating dark side coins.

I always find it interesting what foreign coins people find in circulation. Hopefully people post some pics of the more interesting ones.

I have got all those you have except for the bottom right in the first photo and middle one in the second. Where is the one in the first photo from?
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi enworb

Oops - sorry. I missed describing that one.
It is a 1 dirham from the United Arab Emirates.
I just love the Arab tea (coffee ?) pot on the Obverse.
A real "homely" and welcoming coin !

Squire
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  01:21 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will post pics of all mine later. I've been keeping any foreign coins found whilst noodling for about the last 6 months. At least 75% are New Zealand but every now and then theres something I havent seen before.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4962 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  01:34 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sqire, Great to see another Aussie in here.
Great mob of people here and the information here is Priceless.
Take your shoes off, relax and enjoy the ride Mate
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  06:36 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are mine from about the last 6 months. Before then I wasnt keeping them. There is some from 20c, 10c, 5c, 2c and 1c noodling.

Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is really impressive enworb

I am really surprised that you can still find copper coins in the change though, as we now only have cupro-nickel (5,10,20,50 cents) and copper-aluminium-nickel ($1 and $2).

Anyway, thought I would use the web currency converted to work out which "impostors" are worth more or less than the equivalent Australian currency. The table is attached below.

Cheers

Squire

Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked out your NZ 2c coins, always keep an eye out for the mule >>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NZ-BAHAMAS-...em5892c37fbd
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  9:18 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The copper coins are from searching bulk lots of 1c and 2c coins purchased from banks at face value. And I have checked for the mule no luck
Edited by enworb
03/12/2012 9:19 pm
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice re. the New Zealand / Bahama mule "Australian Coin".
I have not heard about that mule coin before. I think in terms of numismatics, "Mule" coins are amazing. They must pack a real "kick" when you find them in your change !

One very lucky day in the future I hope to find a 2000 $1 / 10 cent mule in my change, though I am not holding my breath for that !.

Enworb, your search of 1c and 2c copper coins from the bank bought back some memories. Years ago I used to visit my local Commonwealth Savings Bank and ask to inspect their "halfpennies", "pennies" and "three-pennies". A clerk would pass over an old heavy wooden tray with the coins in their compartments. I would inspect them, and he would leave me to make my selection. It was a pretty honest business in those days.
Of course I never did find a 1930 penny or a 1923 halfpenny. But I did get a couple of 1946 pennies. And a complete collection of three-pennies too !.

Squire
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Squire Wilson!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05