Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

coin show price guide

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
gary1218
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gary1218 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

When you head off to a coin show do you have a convenient pricing guide you take along with you? Or do you just have all the prices for all coins in all the different grades memorized

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4209 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the the numismedia "app" (It's actually just a mobile version of their website) on my phone. As well as eBay (to look up completed listings) and PCGS Photograde.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
21092 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep most of the current prices in my want list.

I can access my want list (PDF), NumisMedia, and eBay from my Android phone.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
United States
13881 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:36 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CDN on my phone and Numismedia.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8628 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price lists on apps should help to get rid of some of the rip offs at shows.
If both the dealer and buyer consult their app for the current price, a deal where both are satisfied with can be more easily negotiated. May take a little more time per deal.

It is really a bit like TPP. (Third Party Pricing)

Wouldn't go down well in a bazaar in the Middle East.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2354 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a 'smart' cell phone, just a old-fashioned one. So, I research the prices for whatever coins I'm after and I take my notes with me. But I don't make huge project out of it because I usually shop for just two or three things.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same as Buddy......Shop for less then 5 coins so I can lock in my searching.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I do is if Im going to the coin store to get a specific coin I grab my phone and take a pic of the price guide pic with all the grades and value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12533 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go to coin shows all the time and over the years I've found that regardless of having any price list with you, it really doesn't matter. If a dealer says he wants $10 for a coin, yes you can haggle him down. But to say in my price list it is only $5, usually the dealer will say just find someone with that coin for that price. If you want to waste time arguing about what his prices are compared to any price guide, you'll usually loose.
Showing any price list to almost any dealer is basically useless. Yes it does allow you to know what a coin may, should, could, might be worth but if you can't get it for that price, just a useless price list. All such guides are just that, GUIDES. I've found over the years that the best thing is to know what I think a coin is worth to me. I also walk around comparing prices on any coins I'm interested in. I've made many lists for what I think I'll look for and usually always leave that list at home.
I'm not knocking price guides to take to a coin show, I just have never found one to be of any use.
just carl
United States
21092 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, I research the prices for whatever coins I'm after and I take my notes with me. But I don't make huge project out of it because I usually shop for just two or three things.
This was my method before I got a smart phone. My travel list was more focused and small enough to keep in my wallet.

But even with the smart phone, I still make an effort to focus on a small set of items when I go to the coin show. This helps because my time is more limited these days.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgathright to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@just carl, Great advice. From my 20+ years of experience, dealers at coin shows seem to resist haggling by making a price guide reference.

However, a twist on this logic is finding a dealer that has multiple items you want and buying in bulk.

Show a dealer $50 and they will scoff at haggling.

Show a dealer $1,000 and you have their full attention.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05