Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Identification: Unidentified Coins, Medals, and Tokens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Salvation Army Wheat Penny Token

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
unfamiliar
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:45 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add unfamiliar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I talk the american good, so I'm able to understand that it's a token from the salvation army for some emergency women's committee in 1930 and it has a Wheat penny in it.

That much I get.

But Google has turned up blank for what sort of event this was, and if this token is worth keeping in tact and if it would bring in any sort of value beyond that of the Wheat penny.

Opinions welcome. :)

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11058 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a class of object known as a "lucky penny" or "pocket piece". You can find them with all sorts of designs and motifs, from all sorts of groups. They were first made in the late 1800s / early 1900s once aluminium became cheap, they became very popular in the Depression era, and people are still making them today. You can even find foreign examples; I have seen British ones which use a farthing rather than a British penny, which is much larger than an American cent.

While the coin in the middle is genuine, the sad thing is that the coin has most likely been damaged in the process of getting it in there; the press flattens the rim of the target coin, to give the aluminium ring something to grab onto. So if you were to attempt to extract the coin out of the aluminium ring, it would look something like this.

As such, it's value is as a collectable medal, in and of itself, rather than the value of the coin it contains. I'm not sure what the current market value for such pieces is in America these days, nor if this particular piece is more sought after than others. As a general rule, pieces with dates on them like this are worth more than undated examples. Yours also appears to be in excellent condition.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11078 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  9:08 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an Encased Cent, aka "lucky penny". It appears to be in excellent condition, the aluminum ring is bright with no corrosion and the coin looks to be uncirculated or nearly so. Given the condition, I would say it could be worth $10-20 or even a bit more.
ANA R-3151318
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05