Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Slabbed Coins

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5106 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  2:24 pm Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Do you prefer slabbed coins coins to purchase or sell and why?

Poll Choices
yes
No
prefer raw coins

Anonymous Vote
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4358 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, for some reason I am not allowed to vote in the poll. It keeps saying that I have to vote before I can view the results. (I am clicking the "Vote Now" option, and not the "View Results" because I have tried 3 times.)

I prefer to sell slabbed coins, just because when I am selling online it makes it easier to sell, and me and the buyer are not arguing over 1 point.

When buying coins, I really don't have a preference. I like both slabbed and raw.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Edited by Canadian-Banknotes
03/14/2012 4:07 pm
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i seriously dislike slabs... I have ripped every one open to set the coins free (well, all except one which I haven't had the heart to break open)
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
being a newb im stuck in the middle, I like having to prepare and put coins into 2x2's, but I also really like the one slabbed coin I do have. pretty much I will take em anyway if I like em and the price is right
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and no. It's not cut and dryed - one or the other. Some coins I only will buy slabbed. Other coins if I buy them slabbed I set them free.
Edited by Larryh86GT
03/14/2012 6:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1291 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer to sell some coins slabbed and others raw but I almost never sell my coins so it's a moot point. Buying I have no preference given I can actually see the coin in hand. If buying sight unseen and I do not know the seller very well I'd prefer to purchase graded coins.
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b_j_w_79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally like the idea of slabbed coins although I don't own any. If I could afford it I would have a heap of my higher end coins slabbed. It would just be nice to have an official opinion/s kept with the coin if nothing else.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well. I give up that vote, graded coins worth more, don't know why. howvever, I prefer raw coins as my personal collection because I think everything comes with a slab looks like faux, I cannot touch, move and feel the coin-self, just like you went a monkey zoo and saw those monkeys play around behind a big glass.
and how can I know the coin is real or fake, just because they been slabbed?
Edited by nicwinner
03/14/2012 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted with raw. The problem with slabs is they are more expensive & many dealers have jumped on board knowing their raw vf will carry a slabbed ef grade & their raw ef will carry a slabbed aunc grade.
Each type does have its benefits, but it's all preference. I am looking to slab the best 20 coins in my collection as a protection method & also out of curiosity to see what grade they'd be slabbed. Those coins I plan to keep for years to come. One other thing with slabs, is the cost. If I slab those 20 coins & it costs $30 odd each, then I'd be up for $600.
Valued Member
Australia
151 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  06:06 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted slabs ,
I am happy to buy raw coins at auction houses and coin shows when I see them in the hand ,not so happy to buy on ebay with some of the tricks they can do with photography ., sometimes its just punt . Slabs are made for easy ebay selling imo . I am happy to buy slab on ebay but yep must be right price.

I am happy to see my better coins in slabs ,pre decimal proofs and florins yep for the protection the slab gives.
I have seen dealers rubber band proof sets together in 2x2 holders they still rub and clang against each coin every time they remove the rubber band to show customer.

Also when I kick the bucket , I think the beneficiaries of my coins in my will, will have slightly less of a chance of been ripped off, now my higher valued coins are professionally graded.
Learn More...
Australia
11375 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I've made my position on slabbed coins clear enough several times in the past. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
Well, for some reason I am not allowed to vote in the poll. It keeps saying that I have to vote before I can view the results. (I am clicking the "Vote Now" option, and not the "View Results" because I have tried 3 times.)

You have to press one of the options, then press the "Vote now" button. It should work; I just voted. Not that it matters anymore for you anyhow, since once you post a reply to a poll thread, you can't vote in the poll.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have a specific preference either way - on the whole I find the majority of coins I am seeking to be in the unslabbed market and priced at reasonable levels.

I tend to place more emphasis on the track record of the seller for selling genuine, unadulterated coins, and my own personal assessment of the coin (preferably in hand).

It is well known that many forgers/"restorers" view the slabbing of their coins as the ultimate crowning achievement of their art, and that there are plenty of fake slabs containing fake coins in the wild, so I do not view slabbed coins as being exempt from scrutiny and certainly not worthy of paying extra for.

However, on certain key dates or certain key coins above a certain value, where I could not ascertain the genuineness or condition in person I would be inclined to favour slabbed coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5106 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This why I don't like slabbed coins.
Graded by PCGS at MS64.
Actual grade EF

Edited by trout1105
03/15/2012 6:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1291 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trout with all respect the graders at PCGS grade almost certainly more Franklin halves in a week that you'll ever see in your lifetime. Did you give any thought to the fact that the flat spots are strike weakness and not wear? Did you give any thought to the fact that PCGS grades coins strongly based on lustre and perhaps you don't value it as highly? Did you give any thought to the fact that YOUR grading standard is different to the one PCGS uses? You call it EF, they call is MS64. The standards ARE DIFFERENT. Yours is no more right or wrong than theirs.

I should add for those that are starting to think that I'm a TPG graded coin advocate I should point out that only a small % of my collection is graded. Graded coins have their uses, sometimes its warranted and sometimes it's not. I guess I am trying to get across that TPG coins aren't good or bad, they are just different. Biased "anti slab" advocates always bring up arguments that are equally applicable to the raw coin market yet somehow those points are ignored. Sure the coin Trout points out might be over-graded, but so are any number of raw coins in dealers books. No doubt there are raw coins that are over-graded in my collection and in (regardless of what he might think) Trout's collection too. Furthermore for every TPG coin seller that's trying to get a higher price for a coin because of the mis-leading AU grade on an AU55 slab I'll show you a seller that's selling a raw, dipped, wiped coin that he/she is foisting off as AU.

Learn what TPG coins bring to the table and you'll enjoy your hobby all the more.
Edited by markn
03/15/2012 8:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
14580 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:25 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, the coin is MS but not 64. 62 would be more like it.
Franklins are notorious for weak strikes.
I like slabbed coins for the holder and long term protection. I can care less what grade the graders give it.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early US copper enthusiast.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5106 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:31 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you give any thought to the fact that the flat spots are strike weakness and not wear?

weird looking "flat spots"
The marks are too strong to be bag marks.
I am of the understanding that MS indicates an uncirculated coin.
This one maybe AU58 and at a stretch MS60-61.
Regardless of which grading system used, IMHO this coin has been WAY over graded.
My point being is that the grading on slabbed coins is not infallible

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05