Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

need help identifying old silver bars and/or currency?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
silver_surfer
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:55 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add silver_surfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Identified - moved to World Coins forum - Sap

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorenzocarrillo94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very interesting..... looks like pickles or sea cucmbers. lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2470 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this one, finger money, I belive.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1864 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  03:49 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do a google search for "tigers tongue money" you'll find some answers - but basicially they are trading ingots from the Laos region 16th century. And the small round one is called "bullet money"
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
10723 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the long ones are "tiger tongues". You should be aware that low-silver replicas, both old and modern, are more commonly encountered than genuine period bullion. The big one at top looks suspiciously high in detail to me.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
9881 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The bottom one looks like "boat money" check here http://www.coincoin.com/seXX4.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy Cow! Never seen nothing like this before. They sure do look like cucumbers.

Very interesting......

Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the bottom right is bullet money from Thailand- it appears to have the krut (half-man) mark of Rama II (1809-1824). These pieces were heavily counterfeited during the Vietnam War, and later.The top 2 are Tiger tougues, and the bottom one is a piece of Boat money, from the Laos-Cambodia area. Sap's comments are a good warning.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silver_surfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow you guys have been so helpful. any more information beyond what has been given would be appreciated as well. I too am worried about the authenticity of the largest "tigers tounge". any thoughts on what I should do to make sure they are real? if they are completely real silver does that make them authentic? and thanks again for all of the great information. i'll make sure I come up with more interesting stuff for you guys to help me with
Edited by silver_surfer
03/15/2012 4:03 pm
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
10723 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can test them for silver and they come back positive, that's a good sign - they're supposed to be 75% to 90% silver fineness, but if they've got any silver in them at all, they're probably genuine. Most of the tourist replicas I've seen are cheap brass knock-offs.

For "primitive monies" like this, provenance is always good. How did you come about them? If they were acquired from a dealer who seems to know a lot about world, ancient and primitive currencies, or they've been sitting around in an old collection for several decades, your chances of them being genuine are better than "I bought them last week in a tourist shop in Phuket".

The zeno.ru database pages for Southeast Asia have some more good examples of this type of currency. For example, this one closely matches your smaller tiger-tongue; the three circular stamps date it to the period 1400-1450.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silver_surfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap thanks so much! They appear to be REAL silver, however I will take them somewhere to get them tested. is there a good way to test them without lowering the value? here's the kicker, I bought these from an 84 year old who acquired them from his friend who was even older when he passed away. the gentleman didn't seem to know much about them. but I thought they were silver when I seen them so I bought them. but yes, just as you described, they were sitting around for several decades. as far as making sure they are silver, should I take them to a reputable dealer who could maybe tell me by eye if its silver, or should I take it elsewhere? this is very interesting stuff!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just don't allow destructive (filing, acid test, etc) testing. There's a Canadian poster with access to a spectrograph who could check it for you.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thai? I guess, because I think saw someone list on eaby last year
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silver_surfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is what I was told by someone who is an expert in sycee etc. Rare Laotian Tiger Tongue Money, ca. 17th-18th century, this unusual bar coins used by the Laotian people inhabiting the Mekong river near modern day Siam, occasionally found by villagers in this remote region and are highly treasured, it is impossible to absolutely date these bar coins, but I was told by several experts in the numismatic field that this bar dates between the 17th-18th century, made of a "Low grade" silver-copper composition, in excellent condition with no damage and or restoration.

and thanks again for all of your help. I never would've gotten this far without you guys.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05