Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Cent 1980 DDO FS-101

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:23 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just found this roll hunting!

Too bad it's so pummeled.

Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  02:17 am  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's okay, it's still a nice DDO. I've been trying to find one of these for a while now. What power magnifier do you use to look at errors and variations?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a couple of extremely cheap ($7 for a set of 3) Chinese loupes, a 10x and a 20x. They're pretty crappy, but they do the job.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10991 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find, congrats. Does your coin have the scratches inside the upper ear? I found one a month or two ago and mine has the scratches in the ear and the wider numbers but I couldn't match all the markers especially on the reverse.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking long and hard; never found one of those. Congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coppertop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked @ few thousand 80s , jealous and Nice find
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaaz9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So.. Please don't set me on fire, but I don't see the doubling. I've seen plenty of 1980's that look similar to that. How can you tell it's doubled? I would have totally tossed that into the copper jar. In fact, I may have to pull out all of my copper pennies and go through them again now :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome find even though it is "pummeled"!
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coppertop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spazz9: Its pretty rare because they made a loooooot of 1980s, you can see the class 5 on the date , its really thick
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10991 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
spaaz9, http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/dies...ie_state=mds
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
3502 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  09:01 am  Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congrats, great find!
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaaz9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John. Guess I'd have to compare 2 of them side by side.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1: I haven't gone over it in detail, but I do see scratches inside the ear, but I do not see heavy abrasions on the reverse die like in the reference image. I would wager we have a different die pairing, because there's no question that the obverse is a match.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got some better closeups today than I could manage last night when I was exhausted. Also took care of some minor verdigris and oxidation with Verdi-Care.

Edited by CaptainFwiffo
03/15/2012 9:01 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05