Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Getting into Canadian Coins

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  5:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccw2805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been collecting US coins for a while but would like to start adding Canadian coins to my collection as well. Whats the most popular type of coin to collect with Canadian coins?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The canadian 50 cents are my favorites
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccw2805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like those as well, but I currently don't have any. I do have 2 special edition 2011 quarter sets and a couple of commemorative dollars from 2011.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  5:59 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the dollar coins, nice big round pieces with fascinating designs on them. However, just like US collectors, I would have to guess maybe the cents are the most popular and affordable.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasinva69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was into the dollars, but got hosed when trying to sell. Then got into the five cents, which were silver until 1921. Also the provinces, Nova Scotia, new Brunswick,PEI, and Newfoundland are cool.
Valued Member
Canada
145 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carleroo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fellow CCF person told me that he likes the Newfoundland coins - affordable and lower mintage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go Newfoundland for the low mintages. But im collecting Canadian silver dollars.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinGeezer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian nickels offer a wide variety of types, 3 monarchs, multiple compositions and the like.
It's not hard to put together a circulated year set (the 1925 is the costliest).
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would depend on what you like. I would say that quarters would be a good start. If you like a variety there have been a heap of commemorative quarters starting around 1999, easy to find, not expensive.If you like silver then again quarters can be relatively affordable. From there you can move up to half dollars which can be more challenging or you can expand to pennies and nickles both being inexpensive and easier to find.
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no surprise from me, Victoria large cents :)
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Barrie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect all denominations... but if I was starting again I'd go after the quarters . There are so many varities... especially the later years . They'd be the most fun in collecting.
Valued Member
Canada
238 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Max L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say if budget isn't an issue, pre 1936 50 cent pieces in EF40 and up condition. Very challenging but an amazing set to look at!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3786 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whats the most popular type of coin to collect with Canadian coins?

I think you are asking the wrong question here. Let me answer your question with a question:

'What do you like about Canadian coins?' If you know the answer to that question, then deciding what type of coin to collect should come easy to you....
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
277 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motoryoda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I like the 50C, but the early ones are hard to come by in decent shape.
Signature? Hmm......let me think...
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most people here, I have a soft spot for 50 cents and Newfie coins...but it's up to you what you want to collect
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them all from 1858 to date and, I agree with SPP Ottawa its what you like as the most important.And are you collecting the whole set or just one monarch?Here is my thought
1 cent affordable lots of varieties even in modern years
5 cent affordable, The silver set was a challange, especially the first and last!
10 cent some tuff ones in the Victorian series.
25 cent large series
50 cents Good value gets pricy in the pre 40s.
1.00 Good value only 4 or 5 really tuff ones.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05