Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need some help determining these 1948 + 1949 cent Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previously Ousted

Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:10 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

pleas everyone, help me out here.
I have an idea, but am not sure what the varieties are with regards to the A to denticles ot, between large or small denticles etc....
thanks
CG

Pillar of the Community
Canada
964 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:38 pm  Show Profile Check Bm0ney's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a trick question. They are all between large denticles.
"A 3rd class ride is better than 1st class walking." B$:)
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are you sure?
perhaps another look would be in order to determine the denticles...
large? small?
I do not do "trick" questions unless it is very obvious....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1913 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi coingirl

Hope this helps..It is my way to determine whether the "A" is pointing to or between the denticles.

See my picture below and then your picture below that.

The question is more important than the answer
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wert,
thanks for that. I know exactly what you are saying. And, I am aware of it.
But,, I most the time have a but, who says that there is NOT a in-between, as for numerous, lately discovered varieties?
the denticles on my coin B are 1,5 mm longer than on the A...
and here is another thing: check the top right point of the 7 on A and compare it to B...on the other post....
there is a difference in distance to the leaf
... also in the 9
it has been suggested the coin A may be MD. well, that would be the first coin I see with 100% MD all around, with the MD on both sides of letters and numbers, and reliefs.
I will take other images later today to be sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The easiest way to determine this is to compare the first "A" in GRATIA to the last "A". If the first "A" is between then the last "A" is pointing to and vice versa.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found another 1949 "A" to denticles. This pic will show you the difference of "between" and "pointing to". As I said earlier, if one "A" of GRATIA points to denticles then the other "A" will point to between.

Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agreed, and easy to see here.
lets for a minute look at the distance from one denticle to the next, or the previous one...
are they the same from one coin to the next?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9595 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ikandiggit, that's a very clear way to determine the variety.
There is some verdigris in the way, but I think your 1949 cent "A" is an "A to denticles", the rest off-denticle.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05