Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting PM's

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  12:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ztt2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the forum (and to collecting in general), but I don't really have a focus at the moment. I've bought a few silver bars/rounds, (Canadian wildlife moose, Silvertowne 1oz, and Canadian Maple Leafs) but not so much for profit. I check spot prices before I buy, but I do it mostly because I genuinely like the look of these coins, and less so because I actually intend to re-sell these. The potential for an increase in value is simply a nice little bonus.

From lurking around here, I can see that many of you buy PM's as investment purposes. So I'm wondering if I'm just the odd man out here, or if there are others around here who intend to keep their collection as keepsakes?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Too each their own, and you will find the deeper you get into the hobby, your interests an plans will change....

Eventually if you don't sell, someone of close family that you pass it on to will one day reap the spoils of a much higher Pm market, esp if you keep adding to it....

You will be surprised how fast an high it stacks as the days go by....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
545 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amaths to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Absolutely not odd! True that many folks here buy bullion for investment. But that shouldn't prevent us from getting fun down the road.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one does not have to be separated from the other. Just because you don't stack silver bars at spot doesn't mean your collection will not give you less returns as an investment. In fact, I have been saying all along that the better investment would be limited mintage "collectible" bullion versus straight up bullion.

Valued Member
Canada
299 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Check kenney's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to ccf.

If you like them, buy them. I collect for the fun of it. The design of the coin is a big part of it. The more you read here you'll probably (like I did) start getting interested more in 1 (or more) type of coin/bar and get a focus on what you like more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Ztt... and welcome into the light.

I also collect silver bullion and for more than one reason. For me, I enjoy collecting something of real and lasting value. I like looking at my collection from time to time, so nice BU and low-premium proof type coins are the most appealing to me. I like their solid heft and the way that they feel in my hands. Flip a silver coin into the air just right and it will ring like a bell... unlike cheap cupro-nickel coins. I plan to hold this for a long time. I might sell it someday or I might just pass it along to the kids and grand kids.

I also collect silver as a hedge against inflation. Those of us who shop for food, fuel, and any number of other necessities are well aware of the fact that the Fed and government figures understate inflation, sometimes by quite a bit. Silver and gold tend to hold on to their purchasing power, so are better to hold than paper money which has some annual inflation built into it.

Silver would also make for a great barter currency in the event of a currency or financial collapse of some kind. While this is probably a long shot, it is possible. Having a car wreck or my house catch fire are long shots too but I still buy insurance against them. PMs are financial insurance in an uncertain world beset by many financial problems.

The Great Depression of the 1930s was an example of financial collapse and I have heard many stories from my parents and grand parents about how awful those times were. Especially interesting to me are the stories that describe money and how little of it there was in circulation at the time. People worked hard for nickels and dimes and could actually buy useful items with a few of them. People with money could buy just about anything they wanted or needed while others without money had serious difficulty. Barter was common, especially between farmers and city people. My Mom came from a small town family while my Dad came from a farm family, so I got to hear about both sides of this.

To me silver and gold are REAL money. Paper currency that is not backed by real assets is just paper with ink on it, backed by the promises of the Fed and federal politicians. I have learned not to put a lot of faith in these folks, so do not care to trust my financial future and the well-being of my family to them. Real money that is independent of the fiat paper money scheme gives me that independence.

My last and least reason for buying silver bullion is that it may well one day become more valuable than it is today. I am not counting on this and would not buy it for this reason alone unless I was routinely buying and selling it. As you say, it is just a nice little bonus but it may or may not happen.

All this is not to say that I have all of my money invested in PMs because I don't. I would like to increase the amount that I have in PMs over time until I have about 10-15% of my net worth in them. That amount should work well for my situation. It could be different for others, depending on their personal and financial situation. I am now looking into ways of getting some of my IRA money into gold and / or silver. Since most of my savings are in my IRA that is where the most significant change can be made.
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ztt2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hehe thanks for the welcome guys! and even more for the informative replies.

I'm glad that the support for collecting bullion is as strong as it is, but I have a few questions. I'm only a university student so I don't have a massive amounts of disposable cash to throw at silver & gold (unfortunately) but I buy what I can. That being said, do you guys recommend saving up and making one big purchase or a few small ones? I've gotten a few good deals online but the shipping costs always kill it on the small purchases, but I'm not sure if dropping a few hundred on a single purchase is the best idea for a student who isn't working full time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are you at in Canada roughly? There should be local dealers that you can frequent to save on the shipping and payment method fees charged by online dealers.

With a limited budget, my advise is to cost average your purchases. Spread out your purchases over time so the volatile nature of the silver prices can be evened out. And, perhaps put a bit more in during a good dip.

Ebay can be a good place for decent prices for small amounts of bullion if you are patient on the hunt (but it can be time consuming waiting for a good catch and easy to be caught up in the bidding frenzy). Local stores are still the best bet unless you can purchase in bulk to spread the fees out.

PM me if you are in the Calgary, Vancouver, or Toronto area. I know a couple of good dealers at each city you can visit.
Valued Member
Canada
144 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thehulk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with poboxw about going to a local coin shop to buy your bullion if you have one nearby. I used to buy bullion on eBay, but I figured out quickly that you can get it quite a bit cheaper from a local store.

For an example, let's take the new $5 Moose bullion coin from the RCM. Looking at eBay completed listings, the cheapest I see that it sold for was about $44 (includes shipping). Some have sold for well over $50, when you include shipping! You can get the same bullion coin from a local store for around $37 today. So you save $7, plus you get it right away. In this case, really once you have $40 in your pocket, you can go down to the store and pick one up.

If you don't have a coin store nearby, then that's when I'd save up a bit and place a larger order with one of the online retailers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am on a very limited spending budget as well, and find I buy better/smarter when I hand pick each piece 1 oz. at a time....

Even on a poor mans budget, you will be surprised how often you can indeed afford to drop 40 or 50 on a nice piece, compared to 200 or more, just is what it is....

But I am always re-listing my items way high on eBay, and let them pick away at them if they so choose to....

I bought one of those 4 oz. Platinum plated Liberty 2000 rounds, back when silver was lower for just under 200. It sold today for 280. I had it listed at 250, but a guy out of the UK wanted it, an I told him it would be about 25 bucks to ship to UK. He did not mind an instant paid me 280, and I was asking 275. Not breaking the bank again by any means, but that money will be re-applied into more high quality hand picked silver. After pay-pal I got 268, and it will cost about 25 to send it across the pond. So after eBay I cleared maybe 20 bucks. I barely made anything but I keep the silver circulating and the dying dollars, as I need some of those all to often, more so then I would prefer....
Edited by Silverhawk74
03/16/2012 4:41 pm
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ztt2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice guys,

@pobox thanks for the offer, but I'm in Montreal. After a quick search I found a few coin shops so I'm sure I can find something, although I'm not sure if they sell bullion. I also know that Kitco has offices here but I can't find anything online about an actual physical shop. Gotta love the hobby though, you never stop learning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ztt2: best of luck! please do post pictures of your purchase

@hawk: a 10% return on your investment ain't bad at all!
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  10:09 am  Show Profile Check rastatodd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rastatodd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
one does not have to be separated from the other. Just because you don't stack silver bars at spot doesn't mean your collection will not give you less returns as an investment. In fact, I have been saying all along that the better investment would be limited mintage "collectible" bullion versus straight up bullion.

poboxw, makes a good point. He has posted some great pics. of some of his acquisitions of fine bullion rounds as well as bars. Buying a higher end piece, even though more expensive.
Will give you something to enjoy looking at as well as a way to enhance your fiscal bottom line with the increased premium you will benefit from when it comes time to sell. But if I may add, maybe take a bit of your precious metals budget and sink it into some generic silver rounds or bars as a way have a two prong way of building up your precious metals standings. Call it a savings account if you will. Just a thought.
Oh yeah, may I say as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True Pobox, I will take 10% increase on my net all day....

I agree Rasta as it is good to have some high end premium stuff, but also great priced cheaper rounds an bars makes for a great diverse mix....

I have been taking a liking to Half Kennedy 1964 for the lower end items for example, via MS-64 or PR-64 from PSGC. There are a couple of select dealers you can find these from as low as 20 to 25 each. And that is not bad at all for a graded piece of numismatic 90% silver IMO....

If you can find cheaper nice 90% halves as low priced as this graded by PCGS, please share the link, lol....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Kenned...em231a8f3d99
Edited by Silverhawk74
03/17/2012 3:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you make small but regular purchases of silver, a local shop is likely to be a better place to shop. If you buy in larger amounts, then an Internet dealer can provide some pretty good deals. I tend to use both and that works pretty well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1525 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
slow and steady is the way to go when you dont have a large amount of cash. I buy 1oz every 2 weeks or so and after a smack down I usually pick up 3-5oz if I can afford. My stash is a mixture if investment and collection. It is a long term investment so I put together bullion sets that I enjoy and add to and look at and love. When the day comes that I'm ready to sell, IF I sell, then I will part with them. But like I said that is way down the road most like.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05