Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

i am getting the fever

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  01:16 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add latebloomer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this and want to say that I am happy to be here. I found this site by accident, as I was researching coins that I have received from my father due to his passing. I am trying to learn the industry language so please bear with me. I just purchased my first coin world magazine and now have a magnifying glass. I don't have all the data on the coins I have and I will post pics soon. so far I have a few Kennedy half dollars, 1902 Indian Head penny, 1963 and 1942 silver quarter, worn 1920 Mercury dime,a 1943 d leaf penny that looks silver, 1 phocas Constantinople coin with xx on back and worn, 1987 jamaican two dollar bill, I also have international coins as well. 1949 L 10 repubblica italiana coin feels light and play money kind of aluminum texture. for starters I have two questions that I need help on. these coins are mixed together and are not organized in groups and I don't know what I have or how to start to get them organize. how do I go about it? secondly,what does the phrase " deep cameo " mean ? Thank you for taking your time to read this and I hope I get great feedback from all of you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  01:25 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
latebloomer.
If these are your late fathers coins I would get an album that holds 2x2's and arrange them in that.
That is what I would do
My father died 6yrs ago and my sister took his modest collection and sold them.
I will never forgive her for that.
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8864 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
latebloomer: Welcome to the CCF!

I see you are asking the right sort of questions that will lead you to being a knowledgeable and enthusiastic coin collector.

Keep scanning all of the forums here in the CCF and you will soon zero in on an area of numismatics that interests you. Coin collecting is one of the few hobbies that can result in eventual profit, rather than just requiring money to be spent only. You will see the value of your collection grow exponentially if you keep addng to it, even though the money input may be at a constant level.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome aboard!
For less than $20 you can get a Whitman's Red Book for US coins at a decent coin shop or their website or a decent bookstore such as Barnes and Noble...
Until then, check out "US Coin Facts" on the toolbar to the left on this website...there you can find out some facts, such as your Wheat penny from WWII is made of steel (not silver). Did you know that during the war nickels were actually made of silver instead? These are affordable coins to collect in higher grades....
How are the coins stored now...hopefully not loose in a ziploc bag!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

WarNickel's advice to get the Red Book is very good. A small investment for a vast amount of information on US coins. Also, just post any questions you may have in the appropriate section of the forum and someone will be along shortly to offer their advice and opinions.

From the Glossary, also in the left column, an answer to your 2nd ?.

Quote:
Deep Cameo
The term applied to coins, usually Proofs and prooflike coins, that have deeply frosted devices and lettering that contrast with the fields - often called "black and white" cameos. Specifically applied to those 1950 and later Proofs that meet deep cameo standards (DCAM).

And by the way, there is no real cure for the fever.
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdavis18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw, your 1943 cent that looks silver is made out of steel and welcome to CCF.
Oldest Roll Finds
---------------------------
1897 IHC
1942 Mercury dime
1936 Buffalo nickel
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latebloomer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to say so far I am having a great experience on CCF ! Thank you Trout1105, Sel_691, war nickel, jeffrose and jdavis18. The feedbacks are the best and I never knew this would be fun ! I remember when I was a kid and my father was looking at some of these coins. I had no intrest in it other than just to play outside. Now that I am much older and now a father myself, I plan on continuing investing more coins and eventually giving it to my son when I pass on. until then I am going to have a great time with what I have and what I will be getting ! Who knows, maybe a Gold Double eagle will fly into my collection one day.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once the bug has bitten you're hooked for life. Check out the glossary here and it will explain the meaning of a lot of the common words. You'll be an expert in no time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatt2ed13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Latebloomer ,

Saw a post you had on another post , wanted to give you some links for when your up to tackle the Morgan dollars .

I recommend you read this Attribution 101 page first to learn and keep to study once your ready .
heres that link - www.vamworld.com/Attribution+101
www.pcgs.com/Photograde/#/Morgan/Grades

use that to help with grading . either if your selling or buying its a great app .

also for priceing

numismedia.com

my favorite site for Vamming your Morgan dollars

vamworld.com

they should help you get a great start .

good luck brother .
phil
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3230 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  9:25 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol @ trout! Your sister is still living and you can't forgive her for selling some physical objects? Really... I don't want to preach at you, but think about what you just typed.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05