Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone want to guess what I found?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8872 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BLUEZONE: You certainly would have nailed it if you had used a nail!
So far, yours is the most credible guess!

Give this item a quick trip through vinegar, and see what happens.
Anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 days, frequent inspection and judgement would be needed.

I did that once with an unidentifiable thick lump of silver weighing about 16 grammes. It turned out to be an ancient tetradrachm of Ptolemy X11, in about VF condition! Be prepared: it may remain unidentifiable.

If this is a coin, it is a modern one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You missed the frozen mitosis stage in the red area.

Pillar of the Community
United States
520 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  12:48 pm  Show Profile Check BLUESZONE's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes my extensive cell research eluded me for a moment.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well BLUESZONE has to be winner for unearthing what may have been the real treasure I held in my hands. Clearly he has extensive skills in design point identification and was able to capture the fine details that were likely to have eluded the majority. The use of a colour coded diagram not only enhanced his presentation of the subject matter, but further demonstrated the veracity of his remarkable interpretation. Had I not cleaned the coin, I would likely have been the recipient of thousands of dollars with an eBay listing!

As for thoughts of 1930 pennies, you guys did get me excited for a moment, but unfortunately for me I didn't stumble across the coin late at night after a few down at the pub, nor did I receive it in change with my order of fried rice, as it seems these are the only ways you can still locate them in the wild. But then again, could I have just discovered an ULTRA RARE wrong planchet error?!

Now an ancient would be a fascinating find - tangible proof that the Egpytians, Greeks, or Romans had extended their trading empire down under, along with possible speculation that they had set up long undiscovered secret bases on the east coast for an invasion force to take over New Zealand.

Anyway, without further ado, I reveal the first post-clean image complete with use of semi-abrasives:
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  4:25 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that makes us all look like fools That is the most corroded decimal coin I have ever seen but has come us surprisingly well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was fun, although now seeing the coin cleaned up it is plain as day to make out a die clash error.
Obviously there, under that pond scum, was a portrait of Charlie Chaplin on the obverse and the Legend of the famous Native American named Dancing Silly Bear being chased by an evolving prehistoric tiger design from the reverse. Great find!
Valued Member
Australia
233 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could have sworn it was a 1c coin out of 2010 heritage set (lol)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see the polar bear anymore, you ruined it!

Don't forget not to clean your coins!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have been very happy with a sixpence (or a 2010 1c lol), but this one was carrying a bit of extra weight, the reasons for which are apparent in the following photo
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b_j_w_79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was right but nobody believed me!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BJW.
I believed you
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i guess it's a 2 dollar coin as well
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
spectacular toning
Valued Member
Australia
315 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the blue section looks like a polar bear in a clown suit,

Then its got something to do with Bunderberg Rum,Advertising Token?
Sorry too long at lunch,missed posts.
Edited by Basil
03/22/2012 07:13 am
Valued Member
Australia
100 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add In2Fish2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first I thought it was Julia Gillard but then again the ear lobe isn't near big enough.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05