Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Dansco or whitman? Please Help

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20992 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What COMET said is very important.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rewster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What COMET said is very important.

AGREED!

Also something else you might want to factor into your decision is whether or not you are going to collect proof coins. I know with Dansco you can select proof albums or no proof albums. I know Littleton only offers the albums with proofs. I am not sure about the others.

If it matters, I went with Danscos. I have no regrets.
Pillar Of The Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ammar

First of all to CCF ..... the best coin forum ever you will find on the internet.

I am very happy to see another collector from Egypt here in the CCF. All members here are very respectable and very knowledgeable and helpful. You sure have come to the right place for a coin collector.

I see that you are interested in US coins and that you are already asking questions so please feel free to contact me anytime if you needed anything I live in Giza, so if you are in the same city or near we may meet someday.

Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add corey9493 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea of using 2x2's in a 3 ring binder. I have been struggling as well with what type of folder to begin collecting with, but the 2x2's might be the winner for me. I, for one, do not like toning on my coins. Is the 2x2 route the best way to avoid that? Or would a Dansco or some other album keep coins from toning over time?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12507 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found deal of 300 lincoln cents since 1909 to 2012 including some large cents, proofs, and errors. The early coins grade good to fine and the new ones ranging AU to BU. All for 85 dollars what do you guys think?

Could be OK but also could be a pile of junk. In many instances when people try to sell such bulk piles of coins, they are usually just a pile of coins. That is their way of getting rid of something they don't want and neither does anyone else. However, in some instances people have found great coins that someone just didn't know they had. This is tuff call and just sort of like playing a game.
I see EqCollector just jumped in here. At this rate we'll have to start a Egypt forum.
Back to Albums. One thing I don't like about Dansco Albums is it is hard to get the slides out. Unlike Whitman where there is a slot for your fingers to grab the slides.
Another of my irritations with Dansco is all the blank slots at the end of a series in the Albums. By that I mean all pages have the same amount of slots so when they run out of coins for that series, you end up with a lot of empty places. Whitman preplans the entire Albums so no empty places at the end. I have heard several people asking what they should do about those empty places.
As to getting coins from here to there, always check to see if there are any people coming from here to there or from there to here and ask to bring you coins.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wvparadox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just thought I would chime in here. I really like the Dansco albums, and I take advantage of the extra slots at the end of the page to store my extras. In fact, each album can hold one extra page, so I always buy a blank page of the same denomination to put in the album, and fill it up with my extras, and use my P touch labeller to label the slots.
Pillar Of The Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see EgCollector just jumped in here. At this rate we'll have to start a Egypt forum.

A few more members and we will start a pyramid
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20992 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few more members and we will start a pyramid
Oh, I see what you did there.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfhunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like danscos myself also. I do get the extra pages as well, makes for a nice bonus when showing off your collection, to pout different varieties...etc... at the end.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dansco hands down. I have both and Dansco's are easier to update it seems. I think the coins look a little better in the brown as well.
Valued Member
Egypt
139 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ammarabdulfattah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dansco hands down.

Quote:
I really like the Dansco albums

Quote:
My Dansco's are for nicer coins

So it looks like almost everyone agrees Danscos are better :)

Quote:
I am very happy to see another collector from Egypt here in the CCF. All members here are very respectable and very knowledgeable and helpful. You sure have come to the right place for a coin collector.

Thanks a lot EgCollector, I know I'm blown away with everyone's knowledge over here :P And I'm getting a lot of help so I really like it :D I am interested in US coins as you said and it is painstaking trying to find good deals on eBay that are kinda cheap and good at the same time. Thing is I currently am living in Saudi Arabia, but as you said we might meet in Egypt someday :D and please if you know good places in Egypt to buy coins from, I would really appreciate it.

Quote:
As to getting coins from here to there, always check to see if there are any people coming from here to there or from there to here and ask to bring you coins.

Haha. I'm actually trying to do that now :P it will save me a load of money :D
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1922dubledie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://stores.ebay.com/jpscorner is a really good place to by cases for coins because of there price it's really cheap.
Pillar Of The Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks a lot EgCollector, I know I'm blown away with everyone's knowledge over here :P And I'm getting a lot of help so I really like it :D I am interested in US coins as you said and it is painstaking trying to find good deals on eBay that are kinda cheap and good at the same time. Thing is I currently am living in Saudi Arabia, but as you said we might meet in Egypt someday :D and please if you know good places in Egypt to buy coins from, I would really appreciate it.

Just stick to this forum and you will learn more and more.
I know what you are going through regarding eBay because I have been there too when I started 5 years ago but now I get all I want from all the friends I have here on CCF. They are all respectable, honest and trustworthy.

Regarding dealers here in Egypt, I know a few but if you will be looking for US coins I would recommend CC members. Wait until you reach 50 posts to buy and 250 posts to trade here on CCF.

I have extra US coins, so if you are visiting Egypt may be next summer, we may meet and see if I can help.

Pleased to see you here and will be happy to help anytime. Just PM me if you need anything. Enjoy and to the CCF
Valued Member
Egypt
139 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ammarabdulfattah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Regarding dealers here in Egypt, I know a few but if you will be looking for US coins I would recommend CC members. Wait until you reach 50 posts to buy and 250 posts to trade here on CCF.

I have extra US coins, so if you are visiting Egypt may be next summer, we may meet and see if I can help.

I will keep all of that in mind for sure :) And hopefully we can meet someday, Thanks a lot :)
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimHSoars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin Damage Due to Album Slide Covers

In Travers' book "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual 7th Ed" (or here) is pictured a coin with parallel linear scratches due to an album's plastic slide's movement.
  • Has any one experienced this type of damage?

• Do the better albums such as Dansco, Whitman or Littleton have protection in their design to prevent slide caused damage? Perhaps a raised ridge either side of the coin hole.
- Jim
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05