Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No date. How does this happen?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backatit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

thoughts

Valued Member
286 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silver Gorilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
scratches my head here, I will be up all night long waiting for coppercoins to answer :)
But I will give it a try this could be a "CUD". It happened when a piece of the die that minted the front of the coin chipped away and fell off while the coins were being made. It is considered an error and is worth some premium value.
But for now still waiting for coppercoins :))
Edited by Silver Gorilla
03/21/2012 6:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5986 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the whole obverse and reverse look like?

(second look) Something is funny about this "coin" look at the inside seam at the rim (there is a break, possibly indicating a "magicians coin".

oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/21/2012 10:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clary1265 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grease filled die or PMD...

Waiting on the experts with you all....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's gotta be a grease plugged die. PMD would show scratches or gouges or exposed zinc, and I don't see any of that. I've never seen a greaser erase details so cleanly though, usually there is a faint shadow of the devices left. But I also see some evidence of debris in the die in other parts too (the flatness of the nose, for instance).
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
error coins don't usually get my attention...but this....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2451 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a puzzle.

Re: Magician's coins. I have two -- so I'm no expert, but they both have lines just inside of the rim. One of mine comes apart and one is double headed. Both are cut the same way and you can see the line inside of the rim. I think this is because it is easier to carefully grind down one side of the coin than to try and cut it in half.

How do the letters look on your coin? Are they worn? I'd really like to see the whole coin.

Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More than likely an overpolished or grease-filled die. Never seen an example with the date so obliterated though. Looks like traces of the 1 in the date is there, but that's it. Usually overpolished or grease-filled dies don't have much of a value, but two example of 20th century US coinage, the 1937d 3 legged Buffalo nickel and 1922 "plain" Lincoln Cent, are two very notable exceptions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
greaser, I think I see an O
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  8:51 pm  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see a picture of both the front and back of the coin?
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess its a nice greaser...
Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.~ GEORGE WASHINGTON

Don't take it personal I am just straight forward.

Pillar of the Community
United States
871 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll agree with Jayman931. I wouldn't think the mint would over polish the entire date off. A nice chunk of grease. Picture of the entire reverse and obverse might help
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8747 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this case, there appears to be some remnants of where the date would have been,
but I have also seen coins that have also been photo - shopped.

I guess that is one way that an unscrupulous eBayer can guild the lily a little. As a result of this, it should not be surprising that some people have reported that coins they have received via eBay are less than what they were expecting.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11665 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:27 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through error (Grease). A nice one. But they do get stronger. The stronger the better, the more interest is shown.
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...__Digits.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...eddie_01.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...utkowski.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/..._Dies_01.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...D_DIE_01.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...e_Filled.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/...DARRELLC.jpg
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Edited by coop
03/21/2012 10:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3647 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim looks a bit odd in this shot. I'm not sure if this is an error or PMD based on this cropped photo alone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11665 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:50 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim has some small rim chips on it. note the planchet rolling lines in it. The surface is untouched. A grease filled error for sure.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Edited by coop
03/21/2012 10:52 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05