Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Moneta Coin Software

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  09:14 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been reading about the Moneta Coin Cataloging Software. It sounds like it might be useful. Has anyone here used it or heard anything good or bad about it?

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ca...asp?vpar=524

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9830 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have done some reading on Moneta 2.0, and it appears to have the best feature-set of any package out there. If Moneta has an "Achilles heel", it would be the visual interface; it sorely needs an upgrade for that $90.

Hello, 1995.

As a tech guy and edu. software developer myself, I like the idea of cataloguing all my coins, particularly if there is a supplemental reference. But databases aren't my strong suit. My cheapo solution has been to post all my coins to my Flickr account, which is easily searchable by keyword--and I can link directly to online references, something which may not be possible with software.
Edited by DVCollector
03/24/2012 12:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1951 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking about trying to make some software a few times. Although, I noticed that most people use the web, Excel charts, older applications and the like.
Learn More...
United States
14150 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked into this awhile back and thought it was too expensive for what it did. I made my own data base with MS Works that does pretty much the same thing and it didn't cost anything. Leaving my limited budget to buy coins with.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1951 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to make such a application, I would consider making it free for home use only. Chances are that very few home users would purchase the software. Dealing with software protections is just a waste of time, in my opinion. A license that would state free for home use, commercial users must purchase a license. Of course there is nothing stopping any commercial users from using it for free.
Valued Member
Netherlands
381 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  03:22 am  Show Profile Check Eddop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Eddop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I bought the Moneta software in 2004 and I do still using it.
For me it works fine and pretty fast I have about 900 coins in the database. $90,- is a lot money but I think you will not have any regrets.

Ed
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
449 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  04:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest I never heard about that Coin Software but it looks like it can be useful.
"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05