Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

bug out coins

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
silvercoinrn
Pillar Of The Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:59 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

is anyone collecting silver coins for an event in which you might have to "bug out" like in some of these dooms day shows. what coins do you recommend for a situation like this.

Pillar Of The Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have a bunch of 90% in a bank bag that is primarily for that event. There are also a lot of junk silver bars and a .38 special just in case.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More important than the coins is the .38 special. ;p
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really. Living on a military base kind of limits your bug out options since we will probably be trying to prevent looting or something.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good topic, however for OPSEC most probably won't answer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12311 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why even worry about such things since the World is supposed to end soon. And again, and again, and again.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can just imagine trying to 'bug out' toting all those weighty bags of silver. If TSDHTF, what are you better off guarding with your hi-caliber 'piece de resistance', your bullion, your food stash, or the scarce gas you will need to get to wherever you imagine will be a 'safe' place? Mannn-oh-man, these EOTW scenarios and the paranoia they foster just give me migrains.
You are better off with a stash of doomsday pills. Who wants to be around in the midst of apocalyptic chaos and every-man-woman-child-for-himself? If it ever gets that bad, all the PM in the universe will not make daily survival any more pleasant or likely. Only your friends could help, and you will surely learn very quickly who those really are.
Just the humble, not-really-coin-related, very jaded opinion of a short-timer on this world.
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sarcasm incoming:

I'm practicing becoming the end of the world (EOTW) middleman. That means talking the EOTW believer down until he sells me his silver. That also means talking the EOTW non-believer into believing and then selling him silver. Does that make me an opportunist?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haha im trying to sell my silver to etow believers. pretty hard to do considering they all want it for spot and silver is now going down.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver just took an upswing yesterday. Anyways, silver dimes would be my guess. Cheap, recognizeae, fractional, and transportable. Would make trading for small stuff easy. Just a guess on my part though.
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TSOTL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get what silver is supposed to do for you if things go to heck.

It seems to me that food, ammunition or such things that you'll need will be more valuable. If I've got the last roll of toilet paper in town how many bags of silver is that gonna be worth?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
prolly not too many bags of silver for the TP. I mean people did survive before the invention of TP.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stuff that gets eaten, burnt up, shot up... Etc may be important but at some point people will need something to hold value in. Sooner or later trading a chicken for a bucket of rice won't cut it because eventually your gonna start to load up on items you cant keep or dump or use fast enough. That's just my opinion though.
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't need a stash. I can always use the coin I have in my collection as I think a coin collection will be at the bottom of a long list of priorities.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Locoweed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would opt for dimes but I think you would be better advised to stock up on trade goods like coffee or liquor or tobacco products. I think extra ammo would be a stellar choice as well.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16106 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend silver for bugout scenarios. Specifically, Winchester Silvertips. With enough of those, you won't need coins.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05