Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help: How Can I Tell if Morgan is Genuine

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  6:51 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add neworchid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to coin collecting, and I've read a few articles about ways to figure out whether a morgan coin is genuine or not.

I'm familiar with the weight test, the magnet test, the sound test, and am also mostly interested in morgans with the cartwheel luster.

My question is: If the coin is within the weight range (26.73 to 26.86g) and meets the other tests, and has cartwheel luster, is that enough to tell me that the coin is genuine?

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1335 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Check mdpmedia's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello newo.,

I attached a couple of interesting and applicable sections found within a past CCF thread addressing counterfeits:

These were taken from:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...chTerms=seam

Although this past discussion focused on a rare 1932-D silver US quarter the same type of counterfeit seams could appear in Morgans also.

Check out the doubled rim above the RTY of LIBERTY: characteristic of cast replicas shrinking when cooling down...

fyi,

mdpmedia
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a wide range of tests for detecting counterfeits. Some of the more effective ones that can be easily carried out I've posted to The Black Cabinet:

http://fakes.numismetrica.com/ident...ounterfeits/

Generally these rules will catch 90% of fakes, so you have a very good chance it's genuine at that point.

The other 10% can be caught on small details that involve subtle comparison to genuine coins and known counterfeits.

For example, there are a number of Chinese fakes out on the market now that are made of silver (usually of a lower fineness), so they will pass the silver test; however, these counterfeits can be caught by looking for casting grain on the strike, comparing die pairings, or in some cases counting reeds.

Usually your best bet is to get as many pairs of experienced eyes to take a look at it in those cases. :-)
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont forget that posting good, quality pictures on this forum could help. That could be your most powerful weapon, besides the tests done in hand.

-Dan
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, neworchid!

Quote:
If the coin is within the weight range (26.73 to 26.86g) and meets the other tests, and has cartwheel luster, is that enough to tell me that the coin is genuine?

You be approaching certainty, but there are copies that have fooled the experts.

If a man bets you 20 bucks that the Jack of spades will jump out of a sealed pack of cards and spit tobacco in your face, better get your hanky handy.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neworchid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much everyone for your feedback... I have yet to try taking better pictures like the ones I've seen here.

I do have pics of 2 coins (I'm considering buying) that I'd like to get your opinion on. Pls let me know what you think - I really appreciate your feedback!

CCF Sponsor
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scropper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From those pictures, it's pretty tough to tell. Do you have access to larger ones?
Learn More...
United States
17207 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  09:28 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, your best weapon to detect Morgan counterfeits is a trained eye. As Fredd saidd, there are some pretty darn good fakes out there, ones which will pass all the standard "tests." Heck, there are Morgan counterfeits of the same silver composition as the originals. At that point, it's your own experience with looking at and handling Morgans which must take over.

Until you reach that point - and the best among us can still be deceived occasionally - your best bet is to deal only with reputable sellers. Especially in the case of the two coins you pictured here. They're both rather scarce in the grade they look to be, particularly the 1884-S which is probably a $200 coin figuring it for AU53 or so. The 1883-S is roughly a $90 coin, figuring it for about AU50.

I don't see anything about either which jumps out to call itself "fake," but both are coins I'd approach with caution.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 83s reverse doesn't look quite right*, but the other isn't sending any obvious red flags.

*This can be anything from lighting, to photography, to my own lack of familiarity with that specific date.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05