Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

$50 Double Butterfly Note

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
DrPepperPhD
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  11:51 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DrPepperPhD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a pair of 1993 series $50 dollar bills that a friend of mine bought from her drawer as a bank teller when they came in from the Mint. We found them this weekend while cleaning up one of her bedrooms and I thought they might be worth some money. I have done a fair bit of research in the last two days, but need to decide if these notes are worth sending into GCA. The first note is the one with a double fold on it before the second printing. It allowed for a space for the ink to contact the backing plate of what it sat on. The second bill is 4 serial numbers after it and picked up the ink from this bill onto the back of it when its second printing was done. A local coin shop offered me 175 for the pair, I figure he was low-balling me. Keep in mind these were pulled from a new pack of 50's from the bank where she worked.

The questions I have are:

1. Are they worth sending to get graded?
2. Would the second one be worth more with the first since it is the reason for the back misprint?
3. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what they would be worth?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5908 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:13 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think that they are cool and would be great candidates for TPGing (more so the butterfly note than the other, but send 'em both).

$175 is a definite low ball offer! No idea what they would worth, but quite a bit more than your local coin shop "offer".
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/27/2012 12:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10541 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely keep them together as a set. There were at least three other notes showing the offset transfer on the back -- the serial numbers ending in 88, 89 and 90.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrPepperPhD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was curious as to what order they were printed that could cause that. Wasn't sure if they printed each individual bill on the same plate or if they has like a plate of 4 and the 91 would be the next bill on the same plate as the 87. Also I would have thought she would have noticed the next bill (88) more so than the 91, had it also had the same printing on it. Either way, I feel they are probably worth putting another 100 bucks into, to have them both graded. Guessing eBay would be as good as any place to sell them?
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understanding how notes are printed will give you an idea of how this happened.

These notes are printed 32 to a sheet. The backs are printed first. Then the framing and portrait are printed on the face. Finally, the numbers and seals are printed on the face.

When the notes are numbered, consecutive numbers run down through the sheets so that when the sheets are cut the notes are in numerical order. In other words, sequential numbers are not on the same sheet, they are on the next sheet.

When the faces were being printed, the sheet with the butterfly fold was printed first with the paper folded. When the back was printed, the sheet was not folded.

The face plate left the ink that would have been applied to the folded part on a piece of cloth that the sheet was resting on in the press. When the next sheet was fed into the press, the image of the face plate on the cloth was transferred onto the back of that sheet and subsequent sheets until all the ink was gone off the cloth. That is why I said the notes ending with 88 89 and 90 (and probably a few more after 91) would show the offset image of the face on the back.

The butterfly sheet went through the numbering and cutting processes still folded.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My retail guess, sold as a pair, around $1000. I see no reason for slobbing, since it's fairly obvious they're genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are two amazing notes that you found. I would have them graded and I would hang onto them for a while. Those are rare to see. I would have trouble selling them, since they are such great error notes.

I was watching a $5 fold over note and it just sold for $400, so I imagine yours would sell for more, since it is on a $50 note.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...t_500wt_1282
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the notes are numbered, consecutive numbers run down through the sheets so that when the sheets are cut the notes are in numerical order. In other words, sequential numbers are not on the same sheet, they are on the next sheet.

Sheet numbers are 5000 apart.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrPepperPhD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We talked about it and she needs the money soon, so we listed them on eBay. There is a hopeful starting bid on them, but it may not pan out, we shall see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...200738849779
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5908 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  9:44 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Success in your auction!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, DrPepperPhD! (missed you earlier)

Few points:

Quote:
They were straight from the US mint

Really? Which mint makes notes?

I'd make some note about "old small head" or similar

Make your copy one or two points bigger and break it into several paragraphs. Easier on old eyes.

Your shipping terms and shipping description don't match.

Dunno how you plan to ship. The only (technically) legal way is USPS, and there's no difference in the lower 48 (whatever those are) or the other states, territories or APO/FPO.

Registered mail is best. Insurance will be cheaper, and everyone who touches it has to sign for it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05