Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

protecting the coin protectors/slabs

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Buddy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2339 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:14 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Having seen a few scratched coin cases, slabbed and otherwise, I was wondering....

Has anybody ever tried using those plastic sheets that are sold to protect LCD screens on things like cell phones and e-readers and Ipads, etc.?

They could be cut to size and they peel right off...but I know nothing about the chemistry involved. Some of the plastic film is made with PET plastic. I have no idea what the plastic cases are made out of.

Any thoughts?

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20996 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea.

I no longer use those protective sheets on my phone because they reduce the sharpness of the image. I would be afraid they would do the same for viewing a coin.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting idea that would no doubt work. I also took the the plastic sheet I purchased for my ipad off because it was reducing screen quality so this would be the only concern with the idea.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2339 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, they peel right off if and when you want to look at your coin. And when you're done, you can put the plastic back on to prevent scratches.

But plastic out-gasses --- so...I suppose I should just give it a try. I have some Lighthouse cases and all kinds of coins so.....I guess I should go buy a plastic sheet and give it a go.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8603 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Album pages for slabs have been suggested on some threads in the CCF before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12507 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now here is my idea. Break out all coins in slabs and put them in Albums. No slab problems after that.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8603 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl: You would go well in Australia.
Although they have some fans, most collectors in Oz are just not interested in slabbing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4249 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about those this sleeves for baseball cards.

or cut pages or leave as is in a binder?
I have cut hundreds of these pages to use a individual card holders.
I bet a slab would just fit in one of either.

I have a thousand of these empty around the house someplace.

Edited by TheNickelGuy
03/27/2012 9:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel, we need that! I have heard of so many people buyimg a slabbed coin and then cracking it out to fill an album space. Now that we think about it, we need an album that can hold the mint clear plastic that proofs and the like come in.

Anyone here work at Dansco?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2339 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think cutting up album pages that were made for slabs would be cheaper than my idea....so maybe that's the way to go.

I only have a few slabbed coins and a few more in holders but I keep them all wrapped up in cloth so they ever touch each other.

Anyway, it's not a problem unless I want to take something to a club meeting or a show and it gets passed around.

Thanks for the input and the ideas!
Valued Member
Norway
497 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Litotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although they have some fans, most collectors in Oz are just not interested in slabbing.

sel_69l, I think the same goes for most of the world. In Europe, slabbing is seen as an American habit. The coins sold by the leading European auction houses are more than 99% unslabbed. I know lots of Norwegian collectors and only one interested in slabbed coins. You get exactly the same price for a slabbed or raw coin here, so why bother? The cost is substantial. And the grading itself highly unpredictable. I assume the graders are better when grading American coins, they clearly have not got the necessary expertise when it comes to European ones. The adage here is "Look at the coin, not the slab".
Edited by Litotes
03/28/2012 03:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8673 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What about those this sleeves for baseball cards.

They are a commonly used method of protecting slabs.

Quote:
or cut pages or leave as is in a binder?
I have cut hundreds of these pages to use a individual card holders.
I bet a slab would just fit in one of either.

The slabs fit into them just fine. Trying to cut them apart could work but the vertical cuts would probably result in sealed edges that were too thin and which would eventually split. Trying to leave them together and using them in an album like you do baseball cards doesn't work because the slabs are too heavy and the pages eventually tear out of the binder.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4249 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may end up offering these precut (by me) page sections and sleeve things I have for sale on here. I will look for them.
United States
20996 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now here is my idea. Break out all coins in slabs and put them in Albums. No slab problems after that.
Of course, this is my preferred solution. It may not help the OP, though.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yurrupeon collectors are collectors. US collectors often feel they are investors. The whole slobbing industry had little to do with whether coins were genuine (tho that was a requirement), but had its roots in the idea that a slobbed coin could be traded sight unseen, like a stock or bond or bar of gold.

Anyone who collects knows that you can't say two MS65 coins are worth the same, because they're NOT the same.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05