Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

12 New Books this month!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4948 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:18 am Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In the following photo are all but 1 of the new books I got this past month.

Back to Front:
History of the US Mint and it's Coinage - by David W. Lange

Crime of 1873 - The Comstock Connection, a Tale of mines, Trade and Morgan dollars, by Robert R. Van Ryzin

Penny Whimsy, by William H. Sheldon (Quarterman Edition 1976 Reprint)

Guide Book of Double Eagle Gold Coins, by Q. David Bowers

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar by, Eric P. Newman and Kenneth Bressett (Tribute Edition)

United Staes Pattern Coins by, J. Hewitt Judd, M.D.

Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head cents by, Richard Snow

NGC Grading Guide for Modern US Coins by Richard S. Montgomery and David W. Lange

Official ANA Grading Standards for US Coins by Kenneth Bressett

A Pioneer Denver Mint by Noley Mumey signed edition #355 of 800

History of the First United States Mint by, Frank H. Stewart

Not shown in photo; Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States & Colonial Proof Coins Book - It was delivered tonight, but I didn't go by the Post Office to pick it up yet.

I'm most proud of the last two books - Pioneer Denver Mint and History of the First US Mint books, both are extremely tough books to locate in any condition, I've been looking for affordable copies for more than a decade now and finally got both in one month and at great prices. All told I spent less than $240.00 for all of them, that was fantastic! The Frank Stewart book usually sells for $250+ and Mumey's book I've turned down at well over $150.00 for worse copies many times. At this rate I'm going to need another bookshelf!

The "Crime of 1873" book is incredible (I'm well into it now),it's just a fantastic read and a must have for any mining, Carson City or Silver Dollar fan, get a copy while you still can - trust me on this. I think when it's out of print it will cost a bunch to aquire a decent copy.

This should bring my numismatic book collection to over 300 books now. Many are in, one of several storage units, I have at the moment, can't wait to get them all back together again. I miss having quick access to them.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4243 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
United Staes Pattern Coins by, J. Hewitt Judd, M.D.

How is this book? I was looking at buying it, a while ago but ended up not getting it.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4948 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:50 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Pattern book is pretty good. It's my second copy, I have the older blue one as well (1st edition), a lot more coins have been added to it, with updated pricing info as well.

I got mine on eBay for $9.00 at that price it's a steal. pacerpete was the seller, he might have a few more left. This was a hardback as well, downside - no color photographs. The newer layout is a bit easier to read, they changed the font, and typeset each section into a table format.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/United-Stat...ht_500wt_836

It's still at $9.95 with free shipping, check out his other books some are really cheap, the ANA grading guide is only $3.50, the NGC grading guide is priced at $1.99, the Flying Eagle & Indian Head cent $6.99 - great prices and he shipped really quick as well.

I also forgot to put up the Carson City Morgan dollar book I got from him, to start it all off. That was about $10.00 then I contacted him to get a price on 7 more books with combined shipping, he was really easy to work with, but his inventory is going fast.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
03/29/2012 12:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2750 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the old adage is: "Buy the book, before you buy the coin."
You could now start planning your next acquisitions, from a well-informed foundation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4948 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  06:12 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
perter Thomas: the old adage is: "Buy the book, before you buy the coin."
You could now start planning your next acquisitions, from a well-informed foundation.

You can't have missed my signature now? I've had it since I reached post #100 per the CCF Rules.
Edited by westcoin
03/30/2012 06:15 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Vernie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This post got me to buy the Crime in 1873 book.
Very excited for it to arrive.

Is there any info in there on CC Seated halves?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4948 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2012  03:20 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any info in there on CC Seated halves?

I'm only at chapter 3 so far, but I flipped ahead and don't see much on the half dollars, maybe some info is contained in the text, they touch on private minted items, gold, and mostly dollars it looks like, there is also a bit of general info on lower denominations from that era. Still I think it is a great book just based on the mining history so far, very insightful to how the miners worked and the conditions they dealt with every day, had no idea about mine fires and how bad they actually are. I think you will enjoy the book regardless.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Vernie!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05