Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Error?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  1:12 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What do you make of this ?

It seems to be a mint error as there is no sharp edges...also if you look at the edge you can see the reeding which makes me think the edge would have been cut also if it was PMD

Edited by larena
03/29/2012 1:25 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got a piccie of the Obverse?
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for you Nancyc

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit undecided on this one. It could be a planchet flaw, less chance of a strike through, and possibly PMD.

I often come across coins that appear to have had a slice of metal removed, fairly similar to this and I've nearly always put it down to PMD.

Hang onto it, you might get a plausible reply from someone who recognizes exactly what's caused it.

Nancy
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZiggyZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like it was whacked with a hammer.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2823 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was wacked with a hammer, you would expect the edge to be flattened....and it isn't
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5080 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  06:22 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is an error.
Notice the rim from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the reverse.
the missing piece at 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock is probably PMD (sliced) but the rim looks odd
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know all that much about errors, but from what I do know, I think it's PMD.

The reason I say that is because the flattened part appears to be a bulge on the side of the coin, making the coin wider than it should be. In order for the coin to be struck that way, it would have to be struck out of collar.
If the coin was struck out of collar, the entire coin would be broadstruck, wouldn't it?

So I'm leaning towards PMD, for now...

-oddcoins
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's some more pics....hope these are better

Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the design...this appears to be done before the design was printed as no design is missing
Valued Member
180 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting coin but I would call it PMD to be honest
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice just above the area in question, there appear to be 2 x small indentations that may be teeth marks from a vise or similar.

larena, have a really close look around the entire rims on both sides and see if there's any evidence of any more of these marks. If there are more, it's a sign that the coin has been 'held' tightly so that the piece of metal can be removed. In one piccie, I can also see a groove in the area that may be marks left by some tool.

It might seem a bit bizarre I know, but hey some people have nothing better to occupy themselves with.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
116 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most of these errors it is just too hard to tell from photos. I'm leaning towards a genuine mint fault caused by some part of machinery or foreign matter. A lot goes on at the mint that we don't get to hear about because of secrecy. Anyone who has opened a few thousand mint rolls will tell you that these things occur, but because there is no clear explanation and half the population believe in the hammer theory and grinders and polishers they get tossed in the "too hard basket".
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
none of the design is missing as the impact mark is not on any of the design. and part of the feathering does look to have been flattened just a little. but then I did hear of a mint worker who lost his finger nail in a bunch of 10c planchetts maybe this is the coin it impacted on
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05