Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upgrade ... 1892 Columbian Half Dollar

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4432 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  9:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pleased to share this upgrade to my MS set with you ...

We all know that the 1892 Columbian Half is the first ever USA commemorative coin ... so with your understanding I'll skip the history lesson, mintage totals, designers, etc.

This new addition to my MS set is stunning in hand ... full cartwheel luster that glows from across the room ... blast white zero toning ... and the best strike I have personally seen on an 1892 Columbian.

After seeing many of these in hand I've settled on two 'strike indicators' that help me to gauge strike quality ... the two 6-pedal stars on the obverse that separate the legends and the ship rigging on the reverse.

This is the only 1892 Columbian I have ever seen where those indicators are fully satisfied ... albeit the main sail on the good ship Santa Maria suffers from some mint bag marks.

The following poor photos give a sense of this coin ... but in no way convey the 'glow' that the full cartwheel luster imparts as I twirl the coin in the light.

IMHO the coin is undergraded in this PCGS MS66/CAC holder:

Anyways ... pleased to add a nice upgrade to my MS set.

What a strange collecting situation I have set for myself ... upgrades to my MS set and downgrades to my circulated set.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

David

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2172 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely wonderful! Doubt it can be improved upon. Congrats on the new addition!

Isn't it great to finally find "the one" and proudly add it to your collection?

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine what this would look like in-hand... What a strike!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  12:53 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stellar commemorative, congratulations.
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always liked that coin, and other early commemoratives like the Isabella quarter.
It does look like it would glow across the room!

-oddcoins
Learn More...
United States
21928 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A worthy upgrade. Very nice!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  2:25 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finest of the first David. I need one like that for my Type Set since that commemorative has significantly significant significance to me. My middle name is "Columbus".... Honest... I didn't have a thing to do with it!
"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pale o Columbus guy, sounds like you got scurvy crossing the Atlantic back then!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5360 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:35 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope.. Not moi... That would have been Toothless Columbus Guy... I still have em all... .
"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty!

That happens to be one of the very first coins that I bought -- although mine is no where near as nice as yours.

My great-grandfather worked on the buildings for that fair. I never even knew there was a coin for it until I saw one at a coin show! So -- impulse buy!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4432 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many Thanks for all the kind replies.

PCGS has graded 17 examples of the 1892 Columbian half in higher 'technical grade' ... but I doubt many of those coins can match the stunning visual impact that this coin has for me and my personal set aesthetic.

Therein is found a great truth in collecting ... each of us finds our own way and set our own standards for beauty.

I have another stunning upgrade to share ... in some ways even more spectacular than this coin ... but that must wait until later ... home now from a day off of work well spent on a 15.3 mile hike in the lovely Shenandoah National Forest mountains ... I'm a bit beat up at the moment.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nicely struck 92. I have also been looking for a 92 to go with the 93, but raw. Your strike indicators are right on. Many higher grades will not have the strike your prize strike has, especially on the reverse rigging.

The seams of the sails are so fine they will wear very quickly, or not be struck well with worn dies.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
9061 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is only an ordinary garden variety EF example, with not much lustre.
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
449 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing

"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one amazing coin!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05