Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help with information on Macro lens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
136 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  11:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add reports67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I purchased the following camera on e-bay to photograph close up of coin mint marks. Can anyone tell me what power I should have purchased?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13066178953....m1439.l2649

Learn More...
United States
17618 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  4:17 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid you're probably not going to find this one very much fun with coin pictures, reports67. A $40 camera is, well, a $40 camera.

I am unable to parse your reference to "power" here.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mackwork to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About $100 new. It does have a Macro Focus Range of 10-70cm. You don't need a high dollar camera to take nice coin pictures. A lot of the quality of pictures is the skill of the photographer, not the camera. I've seen a lot of excellent coin shots with the lower cost digital cameras. And a lot of poor quality pictures with expensive cameras.

Edited by mackwork
04/04/2012 12:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1615 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  8:55 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem you may have is not having much flexibility with lighting because of the short working distance required to get a full-size coin image. This can be a problem with DSLR's as well with short focal length lenses, but is almost a universal issue with point and shoot cameras...Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  10:21 pm  Show Profile Check Chute72's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reports67,
Asking what you should have purchased is somewhat like asking whom should I have married. It doesn't matter now. What matters, is what can you produce with what you have. And what do you want next?
Less than a year ago, I was in your position. My camera was a Sony Mavica. It belongs in a museum. It took 12 exposures per floppy disc, and close ups were obtainable with the assistance of a jeweler's loupe held in front of the camera.

Super Dave, rmpsrpms and a host of other talented, generous volunteers have rocketed me far beyond what I thought was possible. And my current situation is problimatic in a most unexpected fashion. With everyone's guidance, I have been able to craft or purchase so much great equipment, that I have not been able to employ it all. Usually for prices that under other circumstances, would constitute theft.
(SD, rmp, et.al., I really want to get the bellows up and work a half dozen German Enlarging lenses over the top of my Morgans. But family obligations may delay my photo-shoot progress for a little while.)
Reports,
Post some pictures of what you've got. If you need to use a brick for a steady rest, and a flashlight for illumination, just do it. We all have. And you are likely to surprise yourself with your skill and your camera's abilities. You might (will) even learn something.
I'm a novice, but my two most important lessons were...
Hold that camera steady.
And, get some light on that coin.

And... Photography differs from marriage in that it is not sinful to lust for a better camera.

Let's see some images.
Kurt
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mechman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Taking good pics is a function of using the macro function of the camera and getting the coin framed properly using only the optical zoom, not the digital zoom.
Use 2 side light sources and play the spacing of the lights to the coin to reduce glare. Built in flashes are not very good. Most of all practice till you get it, try different things. Dark background is good on silver.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05