Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50 Filler 1948 Hungary Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2012  10:49 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Was looking through my Krause and noticed that the 50 Filler 1948 is valued from $65 in F to $175 in XF despite having a 15 million mintage. Does anyone have any idea why? Or is it just a mistake in Krause? A quick eBay completed listing search yielded prices that were all over the map...

The reason I am asking is because I have one in my collection!

Edited by vb3347
04/18/2012 10:50 pm
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
446 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post pics?

"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here a couple of pics, I would say it's an F at best.

Edited by vb3347
04/19/2012 4:29 pm
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
446 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is in my Krause catalog from 2006:

"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
Pillar of the Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a coin in similar condition in a collection that I bought on eBay a while back and was also surprised to find out it's value. At the time someone told me that it was likely due to the Communist takeover in Hungary that ocurred around the same period.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a coin in similar condition in a collection that I bought on eBay a while back and was also surprised to find out it's value. At the time someone told me that it was likely due to the Communist takeover in Hungary that ocurred around the same period.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Perhaps a large portion of the 15 million were never released for circulation because of the regime change.

Certainly, if all 15 million circulated, the value could not possibly be so high...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
514 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2012  4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm reasonably sure this is an error in Krause - my old 1994 catalogue has values of $0.50, $1.00 and $1.75 - the increase seems to have occured around the time the database was switched to computer based...

Gerhard Schoen in "Welt Munzkatalog" has a value of 2.5 eur in Unc.
Pillar of the Community
1190 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an explanation for this, but if you look at how much dealers at MA-Shops charge for that coin ...
http://www.ma-shops.de/shops/search...nden&lang=de
(You may play with the language settings, but that won't affect the prices, hehe.)

Christian
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
514 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do those dealers use Krause as a reference I wonder?
I should write to Krause to tell them the 1 Euro Cent from Germany are worth lots of money - you would be a millionaire overnight :)

Do we have any members from Hungary on here that could put an end to this one way or another?
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silverdollar2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
guys, using eBay's completed listings feature would do a better job at determining the current marketed value of a coin.
So I searched up 1948 50 Fillers and came up with 3 results.
1 of which sold for $50, it was BU
while the other two sold for just around $3-4 similar to the condition of your coin. Sooo, unfortunately, it's probably a book error.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We really need someone from Hungary to chime in and set this thing straight. My current guess is that Krause is greatly overvaluing the coin, but it is still worth more than a couple of bucks. Perhaps the decimal is in the wrong place (should be $6.50 in F and $17.50 in XF)?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps a large portion of the 15 million were never released for circulation because of the regime change.

Certainly, if all 15 million circulated, the value could not possibly be so high...

Actually a lot of pieces seem to have circulated quite a bit. Krause doesn't even quote Unc. for this type. And I find it interesting considering it was very near a change of guard in the country. My take on it is that the Peoples Republic left the old coinage in circulation till they were ready to replace it with new "politically correct" one, after which the old coins were recalled and, probably, most of them were destroyed (which Krause fails to mention).
Pillar of the Community
1190 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2012  5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That does make sense. As for how many pieces of a given coin were later destroyed, in many cases the best you get is a well educated guess. (Side note: We currently experience that with the German DEM coins; there are absolutely no data about what denominations, years, etc. were redeemed and then destroyed.) In the current issue of Gerhard Schön's catalog (2012) the prices of this 50 fillér 1948 coin are somewhat higher than before: €15 in VZ (EF) and €40 in ST (BU) ...

Christian
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05